Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Out of hours emergency service

We can only deal with an emergency out of hours if it is a danger to health or safety.

If the emergency or crisis is life threatening, call 999.

For non-emergencies call the police on 101, or for medical advice call the NHS on 111 or visit NHS 111 online.

For council emergencies outside office hours, ring 020 8379 1000.

Our office hours are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Many of our services are available online, so you may find it quicker and easier to search our website to find what you're looking for. See useful links below:

To report cruelty or an animal in distress, visit RSPCA.

If a relative dies in Enfield and you intend to bury them on the same day for faith reasons, you will need a Certificate for Burial or Cremation (green form).

You can call the out of hours service on 020 8379 1000 who will provide you with the contact details for the on-call registrar.

The green form for burial or cremation can only be issued if:

  • you have a Medical Cause of Death Certificate issued by a GP or hospital doctor
  • the death has not been, or does not need to be reported to a coroner
  • you have documents confirming that the burial is taking place that day

If a green form is issued, you still need to make an appointment to reattend the Register Office within five days of the date of death to register the death in full.

For more information, see registering a death.

We offer an out of hours service to deal with noise complaints between the hours of 9pm and 3am on Friday and Saturday nights. If you’re affected by noise during these hours, call 020 8379 1000.

We can only deal with complaints that are ongoing when you call, such as:

  • loud parties
  • loud music
  • noisy pubs and clubs
  • house and car alarms

If you wish to complain about noise that is not occurring during these times, you can report this online by visiting noise nuisances.

We will investigate a road or pavement problem out of hours if it is dangerous and could cause serious injury or death, such as:

  • broken manhole covers
  • potholes
  • flooded roads or pavements
  • a tree which is leaning, fallen or in danger of falling, or has been hit by a vehicle
  • a tree which has been cut down
  • a bridge or other structure which has been hit by a vehicle or has collapsed
  • a fire under a bridge
  • any other road or pavement problem you think is dangerous

You will need to tell us the exact location of the problem and the date and time it was seen.

If the problem is not an emergency, you can report it online.

You can call our emergency out of hours service for street cleansing of roads and pavements for issues such as:

  • debris and fuel from a road traffic collision
  • dumped rubbish blocking a road or pavement
  • blood and other bodily fluids
  • fuel or oil spills causing a hazard
  • dumped needles

If your report is an emergency, we aim to clear the reported debris or make the site safe within three hours of your call.

If your enquiry is not urgent, you can report it online by visiting rubbish dumping and litter or grass verges, hedges and shrub beds.

If you see a problem with a tree, you should consider if it is urgent before calling our out of hours emergency service.

Urgent situations include:

  • a tree or part of a tree that has fallen or is in danger of falling
  • a tree that has been hit by a vehicle
  • a tree with broken hanging branches

If you feel the situation is urgent, call 020 8379 1000 between the hours of 5pm and 9am, and at weekends or bank holidays.

For more information about trees or to report non-urgent issues, see our trees page.

Our emergency duty team provides an out of hours service for adults or children who are at risk, where it would not be safe to wait until the next working day. All referrals are dealt with by fully qualified and experienced social workers.

You can contact the emergency duty team to:

  • report abuse, harm or neglect
  • request a social care assessment
  • put an emergency support plan in place, if an urgent situation means a carer is unable to look after someone they usually care for, and they have a carer's emergency card

If an adult or child is at risk, call 020 8379 1000 between the hours of 5pm and 9am, and at weekends or bank holidays.

We run an out of hours emergency repair service for our tenants and leaseholders.

This is an emergency make safe service only, for issues such as:

  • burst pipes
  • uncontrollable leaks
  • total loss of electrics
  • total loss of water supply
  • insecure property

For emergency repairs, call 020 8379 1000 between the hours of 5pm and 9am, and at weekends or bank holidays. We aim to respond within four hours.

If you smell gas or think you have a gas leak, call Cadent on 0800 111 999 immediately.

If it is not an emergency or you want to ask about an existing repair, you should call during our office hours of Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm.

There may be a charge if the call out to the property is not an emergency.

Housing Options Service - Out of Hours

If you become homeless unexpectedly outside of the council’s business hours you can contact us on 020 8379 1000. Your case will be assessed to see if we can provide you with emergency accommodation for one night (or over a weekend if you contact us on Friday).

Emergency accommodation will only be provided if:

  • you are a UK national or have leave to remain in the UK
  • you are pregnant
  • you have dependent children
  • you are homeless due to flood, fire or other emergency
  • you are at risk of violence or threat of violence in your current accommodation
  • you have a significant medical health issue

If you are provided with emergency out of hours accommodation you will be expected to attend our service at John Wilkes House, the following day between 9am and 4pm, so that a full assessment can be carried out with a housing caseworker.

You must make sure that when you attend John Wilkes House you provide the following:

  • ID (passport, birth certificate, residence card)
  • birth certificates for any children that live with you
  • proof of address (utilities bills, etc.)
  • proof of income (bank statements, wage slips, benefits award letters)
  • medical evidence