Enfield was first recorded in Domesday Book as a small settlement called Enefelde.
The Palace Gardens and Palace Exchange Shopping Centres are located on the site of Enfield Palace a sixteenth century manor house. The only remains of the house, a panelled room with elaborate ceiling, were relocated to house on Gentleman’s Row.
Enfield Town Market first opened in 1303 following a charter granted by Edward 1 to Humphrey de Bohun Lord Mayor Enfield and Earl Of Essex.
Enfield has the longest length of river corridor in London, known as the New River Loop, which covers more than 43 kilometres and passes through Enfield Town.
Enfield Town is home to three English Heritage Blue Plaques, one for the launch of the first ever cashpoint at Barclays Bank, the second at the home of writers Charles and Mary Lamb and the final at the home of Joseph Whittaker of Whittakers Almanac fame.
The oldest shop in Enfield Town is Pearsons, which opened 1903.
The oldest pub in Enfield Town is Kings Head on the Market Place, which was first recorded in 1516.
The old Enfield Town Park was situated around the site of an Iron Age hill fort, the remains of which can still be seen in the vicinity of the building of Old Park House (now belonging to the Bush Hill Golf Club).
For more information on local history, visit the heritage section on the main Enfield Council website.