Adoption support for birth families

Adoption support for birth families


If your child is being considered for adoption, we can help you understand your options, rights and how our service can help, either before or after your child is born.

If Enfield Children’s Social Services have taken your child to place them up for adoption against your will and you want to stop the adoption or need help keeping your child, you should speak with a legal adviser to make sure your objections are recorded and heard before a judge.

If you want help placing your child for adoption, you can meet with a social worker who will be able to answer your questions on the process for adoption and give you advice. They can also suggest ways to help you if you want to try and raise your child. For single parents, there are groups who can help.

Enfield Adoption Service supports birth and adoptive parents equally. Any enquiries are confidential and non-judgmental. You can ask for a separate social worker from your child to make sure you get all the support you need and all relevant reports on your child should be shared with you.

If you decide adoption is right for you, one of our social workers will ask a number of personal questions about your life, family and the child’s father. It is important for adopted children to know as much about their birth family as possible. We also find this helps when telling the new family about the child and their background. Our social workers will also ask what type of family you would like your child to group up in, for example, culturally or religiously.

Once the decision is made for adoption, you and your child will experience many different feelings, depending on the age of the child. At this stage, you are still completely free to change your mind and raise your child yourself.


Getting in touch with adopted family members

If you are a relative who has been affected by adoption, we can offer advice and help to make contact with an adopted relative. This could include advice on registering your details on the contact register or searching public records.

If your relative is over 18, we will consider writing to the adoptive parents on your behalf. We also offer birth relatives seeking information or wishing to trace an adopted child a counselling service to prepare for the information you may receive, or for actually meeting your relative. We also offer support after you have had a reunion.

Privacy notice | Terms of use