Special Guardianship

What is a Special Guardianship Order (SGO)?

A special guardian is a person the court decides will care for a child permanently. This is done to provide children with long-term stability but without the legal break from their birth families. This is an alternative to adoption and allows children to stay connected to their birth families.

Who can be a Special Guardian?

To become a Special Guardian, you will need to apply for an SGO. You need to be over 18 years old and can apply:

  • As a single person, a couple or a group of people (with a connection with the child)
  • If the child is in the care of the local authority, have consent of the local authority. 
  • If you are the child’s foster carer who has looked after the child for at least one year immediately preceding the SGO application.
  • If you have the consent of all those with parental responsibility for the child.

There are additional considerations, which you can discuss with our Special Guardianship team. You can also download our guide for potential SG’s here.

How to become a Special Guardian

You can get in touch with them by emailing specialguardians@enfield.gov.uk or calling 020 83798 490 Mon,Wed,Fri (10AM – 3:30PM).

For more information on all things Special Guardianship related, visit http://www.specialguardiansnorthlondon.co.uk/.

Privacy notice | Terms of use

Enfield Council logo