Could your group be more SUGAR SMART?
Faith groups, community groups and voluntary organisations are in a strong position to raise awareness with residents and be active supporters and advocates for Sugar Smart Enfield. This is especially relevant to groups that run cooking clubs, training or serve food and drink during their events and gatherings.
Join the Sugar Smart campaign by pledging to take 3 small actions that make a big difference such as:
- Make fresh drinking water freely available to staff and service users (where appropriate).
- Remove sugary items from vending machines and display information about the amount of sugar in everyday food and drink.
- Review menus, recipes and procurement policies to consider how sugar can be reduced in the food and drinks that are provided.
- Stop selling drinks high in sugar and promote water and no-added sugar drinks instead. Incorporate the Sugar Smart campaign into existing initiatives such as cooking programmes, health eating/get fit programmes, children’s activities and clubs and community meals.
- Use low sugar recipes to do cookery demonstrations and help kids and adults make better choices.
- Get your staff trained to deliver cooking courses and promote low or sugar-free recipes.
- Help people make more informed choices by putting up posters and other campaign materials (particularly around vending machines or till points) that provide information about the sugar content of foods and drinks and the effect of sugar on health.
- Run a Sugar Smart session using our video and information resources.
- Get your kids to make viral content such as videos or interviews to share on social media channels.
- Run a quiz with surprising facts about sugar in everyday food and drink.
- Set a challenge, such as giving up sugary drinks for a whole week.
- Healthier Vending briefing
- Shopping guide
- Information about the Healthier Catering Commitment Scheme
- Posters for display around your business or near vending machines – 500ml sugary drinks poster and Reduce your sugar poster
- Ministry Of Food course Set up this 8 – Week cookery covering knife skills through to more complex recipes.
- Promote the Be Food Smart app from Change 4 Life to scan over 110,000 food and drink products to find out how much sugar, fat and salt they contain.