You are here

Becoming A Childminder

So you’re thinking about becoming a childminder in Enfield?

First things first..

You need to either: Own your own home or have permission from your landlord to run a business from their property.

You also need: A sufficient understanding and use of English.

You have to be over the age of 18 years old.

Thinking about where to start and what training and support is available?

Initial Briefing: This is an introduction about becoming a registered childminder and this session will provide you with the knowledge so that you can make an informed decision as to whether you wish to proceed with the process and attend our two day training session.

Cost: £25


  • Tuesday 28th April 2020, Time: 09:45 – 11:45 (prompt start)
  • Tuesday 23rd June 2020, Time: 09:45 – 11:45 (prompt start)

If you would like to be booked on to one of the above initial briefings, please email us with the following information and state which briefing you would like to be booked onto.

  • Full Name
  • Address including post code
  • Contact telephone number
  • Email Address

Once we have received your request, we will send you instruction of how to pay. Once you have paid, you must email us your confirmation of payment email so we can confirm your place. Without confirmation of payment, we are unable to confirm your place.

Please make childcare arrangements for your own children, as regretfully, we are unable to accommodate children.

Comprehensive Childminding Two Day Training:

Once you have attended our Initial Briefing session, and if you decide you would like to proceed, we will email you an invite to attend our two day training. You will receive this within 7 working days of attending the Initial Briefing.

The two day training course will provide you information on:
• The introduction to the statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage
• Business, Tax and Marketing
• The Ofsted registration process

For those who attend the two day training session, you will receive a “start-up” folder, which includes relevant documents that you will need when becoming a registered childminder.

Cost: £95

  • Wednesday 11th March and Thursday 12th March 2020
  • Wednesday 8th July and Thursday 9th July 2020

Time: 9:30 – 15:00 (Prompt Start)

Please note that candidates are required to attend both sessions in order to receive a certificate of attendance.

Cancellation Policy for Initial Briefing and Comprehensive Childminding Two day training:

All cancellations must be received at least 48 hours prior to the course start date. We operate a strictly no refund policy once payment has been received and a space confirmed. However you will be offered the chance to book on the next available course, this can be executed up to two times.


Planning requirements

If you answer ‘yes’ to any questions listed below you may require planning permission:

• Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private residence?
• Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?
• Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?
• Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?

It is advised to Contact Enfield council for a Certificate of Lawful Use for the proposed activity, to confirm it is not a change of use.

If you intend to work with assistants and/or other registered childminders you must contact the planning department to see if planning permission is required or not.

However if you intend to work with 4 or more practitioners on site you will require FULL Planning permission (D1 USE) for childcare on domestic premises. You will also need to contact the Quality and Outcomes team for advice and support as you will need to meet the specific legal requirements of childcare as opposed to childminding.

Enquiries for planning permission to be made via email to:

The following details must be provided:
• provide property details and include: full address / telephone
• state number of children caring for
• staff
• hours operating for
• external play area (if so, provide the scale and times of use)
• which areas of the premises to be used

Early years business sustainability

Please click here for advice, examples and resources to help early years providers run a sustainable childcare business..

Related posts