Financial Support for Families

In this section: Maxing up Your Income, Money Advice Service and Lone Parent financial advice.

Maxing up Your Income – What Parents Need to Know

Click here to see the  Online Financial Guide for Parents

Government statistics show that many families are not claiming all of the benefits and tax credits they are entitled to.

Some working families do not realise that they might still be able to claim a proportion of Housing Benefit.

Other families are not claiming their Working Tax Credit entitlements or the childcare element towards their childcare costs.

An information booklet has been produced as a guide for parents to find out everything they need to know about maximising their income.

The ‘MaxUp your income – what parents need to know’  booklet was revised in Spring 2012.  Since then there have been several changes to tax credits and benefits. Parents are advised to confirm their current entitlements for 2014/2015 independently.  It is our intention to revise this booklet as soon as possible.


Money Advice

Do you have money struggles? Need help sorting it all out? Enhance your life by taking control of your money.

Access the Money Advice Service for FREE unbiased advice that can make a real difference to your life. Read information and access tools to help you work out what’s right for you. Example: Every day money; Life, work & study; Insurance; Mortgages; Pensions & retirement; Cards & loans are just some of the topics to help you take control of your money.

Lone Parent?

Did you know that if you are a lone parent aged 18 or over with school age children you may no longer be entitled to Income Support (IS)?

Instead with the support of your Jobcentre Plus (JCP) adviser you will have to look for paid work and make a claim for Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you are not able to work due to a health condition or disability.

Renewing Your Tax Credits!

Click here for more info from Gingerbread on what you need to do to renew your tax credits!

Related links