Terrific Twos

What is the Terrific Twos?

The Terrific Twos is up to 570 hours of funded education per year for your child.



Please note: The below criteria has now been updated to include Universal Credit in line with new Government guidelines that may impact on your child’s eligibility.  For information regarding Universal Credit please visit https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

Eligibility Criteria

You may be eligible for a place if you are in receipt of ONE of the following types of support:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit – if you and your partner have a combined income from work of less than £15,400 a year after tax
  • Tax credits and you have an annual income of under £16,190 before tax
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)


  • They are looked after by a local council
  • They have a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • They get Disability Living Allowance
  • They have left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order

How to Apply


Please ‘only‘ apply from the Term your child is 2 years old

Text the word TERRIFIC to 81025 – We will send you a text back asking for all the information you will need for the application to be processed.



Please ‘only‘ apply from the Term your child is 2 years old

Once we have processed your application, we will be in touch with you via email or text within 5 working days after you submit your application.

If you are eligible we will include your eligibility code and eligibility date in your email.

If you are Eligible, what next?

If you are eligible, your child can access up to 15 hours funded childcare the term after they turn two for over 38 weeks of the year, term time only.

All Terrific Twos sessions can also include the following which are chargeable such as additional hours, lunches, snack and any extra classes for example yoga or music.  This must be presented clearly to you and agreed prior to your child starting at the setting.

If you are ‘not’ Eligible, and you feel that you maybe eligible, please email: if@enfield.gov.uk one of the below forms of evidence:

Either: Email us a copy of all pages of your HMRC/Universal Credit evidence for our consideration.

Please note:

  • If you are sending us your Universal Credit statement as evidence, please send us a print out of all pages of your last 3 assessment periods. Remember to  begin with the most recent assessment period following your Terrific Twos application.
  • If you do not have access to a printer and wish to send screen shots, please ensure you scroll down through the statement and send complete screen shots for all assessment periods as we need to see a full breakdown of the Universal Credit award.

Or : Email us evidence if your child meets one of the below criteria:

  • Is looked after by a local council
  • Has a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • Receives Disability Living Allowance
  • Has left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order

If you do not meet any of the above criteria please take a look at Paying for Childcare.

Home childcarers (nannies/ au pair) are exempt from the requirement to register under the Childcare (Exemptions from Registration) Order 2008 if they provide childcare for no more than two families in the parents homes. They are currently not permitted to register on the Early Years Register and cannot therefore receive early education funding

Process to change your Terrific Twos provider:

When signing a contract with a childcare provider, please make yourself aware of the agreement you are signing. You would be required to give ‘one’ month notice to your current provider and agree an end date in writing via email as evidence. Upon receipt of the email, forward it to if@enfield.gov.uk to include the new provider details and start date which must be after the agreed end date. Failure to give adequate notice may result in you not being able to access your funding elsewhere until your notice period has ended.

Taking up the Terrific Twos (2 year old funding) out of borough:You would need to check your eligibility with the borough you live in. If you are confirmed eligible then you will need to contact a provider in the borough of your choice and liaise directly as you should have received evidence of your eligibility. If you take up the childcare out of borough, please let Informed Families know the name of the setting by email: if@enfield.gov.uk to include your child’s full name and date of birth.

Transfer from Terrific Twos to the Free Entitlement (3 & 4 year old Nursery Education Fund NEF) When you take up the Terrific Twos and want to stay with the same provider for the NEF *, you will need to enquire about availability with the provider as you may not automatically be allocated a follow on placement. You do not need to apply to Informed Families for the NEF as all 3 and 4 year olds are entitled to funded early education sessions of up to 15 hours, the term after their 3rd birthday.

If you cannot apply online or send a text, as the last option please use the downloadable application which you can find here.

How will you use my data?

Enfield Council stores your personal information securely in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2018. Your provider and the LA is required to retain the information for 7 years for audit purposes in accordance with HMRC and the Department of Education.  We may need to share your personal details with children’s centres, schools, other services and childcare providers to further support your funding placement. Your information may be shared with other parts of government, other councils and our delivery partners to deliver you services or if required by law. This information may also be shared for monitoring, auditing and evaluation purposes. Under GDPR you have certain rights regarding access to the personal information that Enfield Council holds about you.

You have the right to request that we give you a copy of your data. This is called a “Subject Access Request”. You may do this by making an online request. For further information regarding Enfield Data Protection policies and regulations please visit https://new.enfield.gov.uk/privacy-notice/#1

In the event of a data protection breach, ICO will be notified within 72 hours of the breech taking place.While we make every effort to keep www.enfield.gov.uk/if up to date, we cannot provide any guarantees or conditions as to the accuracy of the information on the site and particularly how this relates to every individual’s personal circumstances in relation to funding