Learning disabilities

The learning disabilities service is in:
St Andrew's Court
1-4 River Front

We are open Monday to Friday from 9am - 5pm. You can email the team, or contact us on 020 8379 5039 (textphone 020 8379 3100).

We have lots of useful information in adult social care, however these sections are written in an easy read format that people with learning disabilities might find helpful.

If you do not have regular access to a computer, you can view the information in our learning disabilities booklet (PDF), but our website is much more up to date and the booklet may not always have the latest information

Family carers

If you are a carer of a person with learning disabilities, visit our carers page for help and support, or contact:

  • Carers and Parents in Enfield (CAPE) - a group of carers, parents and families of adults over 18 with learning disabilities. CAPE offers advice, information, representation and campaigning. Contact the team on 020 8373 6345.
  • Carer 2 Carer - a network for parents and carers of young people aged 16-25. Contact the team on 020 8443 4505.

Man with hand on teenage boy's shoulder

Help with your care and support needs

If you want to tell us about your needs, a family member or friend can help. If you have a significant difficulty taking part in the things we talk about on this page, and you do not have anyone to help you, you have the right to an independent advocate.

View our advocacy leaflet (PDF).

Anyone with a learning disability who thinks they have care and support needs can ask for an assessment.

View our assessment format (PDF).

The information in the assessment will decide if you are eligible for help with your care and support. If you are eligible, we will help you get support from your support network, local community or services. You may also be given a personal budget to pay for things to meet your care and support needs.

Bank notes

If you are eligible for a personal budget, we will give you a 'best guess' of what your personal budget will be. This is based on your needs and may change. You will also have a financial assessment to see if you need to pay towards your personal budget.

After an assessment, you can do a Care and Support Plan. You can do it yourself, or get someone to help. This could be someone from the Integrated Learning Disability Service (ILDS), like a social worker.

Support plan booklet

Your Care and Support Plan will say how your needs are met through your support network and the local community. It will also say how you will use your personal budget to meet your other needs. You could:

  • buy services, equipment or technology
  • hire a personal assistant

Your Care and Support Plan will say how your personal budget is managed. Normally you will get a direct payment paid into a bank account, or given to you on a prepaid card.

We will have to agree your support plan to make sure it meets your needs in a safe and appropriate way.

Your Care and Support Plan will also say what your outcomes are. These are the things you want to achieve.

View our outcomes document (PDF).

It is important we review your support plan once a year, or when your needs or circumstances change. At your review we will look at what is working and not working.

View our support plan review format (PDF).

For more information on getting help, visit our help and support pages.

Useful services and organisations

Ask Sara logo

AskSARA is an online tool for getting advice on living independently.

Healthy food

Some people with learning disabilities may have other health problems, such as diabetes, and need support to access health services.

Our Integrated Learning Disabilities Service (ILDS) can help, or you can visit our health pages. There are also health sub groups working on specific issues for people with learning disabilities.

You are entitled to an annual health check. View our GP health check leaflet (PDF).

Healthy living drop in sessions

Community nurses visit various places to give advice on health living. They help with health checks, like blood pressure and weight. You do not need an appointment for a drop in:

End of life care

two nurses with elderly lady

The Integrated Learning Disability Service (ILDS) has an end of life care steering group (PDF).

View our end of life care poster (PDF) or our workbook to plan your end of life care (PDF). There is also a copy for people's supporters (PDF).

Dementia support

The Integrated learning Disability Service also has a dementia steering group. View our document on supporting people with dementia (PDF), or visit our dementia page.

Useful services and organisations

Easy health logo

Easy health has easy read information about health issues.

Man with thumbs down

We help people whose behaviour can be challenging get the best support.

The Integrated Learning Disability Service (ILDS) has signed up to the challenging behaviour charter. We encourage everyone who supports people who can be challenging to sign up too.

View our document on support for people whose behaviour can be challenging (PDF).

We provide training for people, their families and supporters. We quality check services for people who can be challenging and support people with their positive behaviour support plans.

The ILDS also has a community intervention team of specialist community nurses to help people when things are not going well and behaviour presents significant risks. Our aim is to make sure people do not go into hospital if they can be supported in another way.

If you feel you need urgent help, call 020 8379 5759, 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.


Woman writing with man next to her at a table

Having a job can help you feel good about yourself. You can learn new skills and contribute to your community. 

Volunteering is also a great way to do this. Volunteering is when you do unpaid work for a non-profit organisation, like a charity. It is a good way to meet new people and have fun too.

If you want a job, there are lots of services that can help you prepare for work, find a job and understand how working may affect your benefits.

Enfield Careers Service can provide you with advice and information about your career options if you are under 25. Email the team or contact them on 020 8884 7309.


If you need advice or support with welfare benefits, contact the welfare advice and support hub on 020 8379 4816. You can also ask your social worker or support worker.

Our money advice pages have lots of useful information on helping to manage money. For more information, see:

EDA logo

Enfield Disability Action supports you to apply for benefits and manage your money. Contact them on 020 8373 6239.



Online Housing Advisor can help if you have a housing problem.

You can also see our booklet about housing options for people with learning disabilities (PDF) or visit The Housing and Support Alliance.


Having something to do with your free time is important, so you don't get bored or lonely. There are lots of different opportunities and activities in Enfield that you might want to try.

Cineworld logo

Cineworld offers disabled access, as well as subtitled and audio described films for people with sensory impairments. They also offer Autism friendly screenings. You can get a cinema card, which means you or your supporter can get a free ticket when you go to the cinema together. Apply online or call 0845 123 1292.


It is important to have good information about transport services. For more information you can visit our support walking and getting out and about page.

TFL has a lot of information about what it is like travelling in London, and facilities and assistance available. If you need help when you are travelling, a Travel Support Card can be helpful.

The First Route Scheme provides an opportunity for people who require additional support with travelling to get experience in a safe and structured environment. You can get more information by contacting Community Link on 020 8379 2445.

There are also Emergency Card Schemes, which can provide 24 hour support in case of accident or illness when someone is out of their home.

Dial-a-ride logo

Dial-a-ride is free door to door transport for disabled people who cannot use mainstream public transport. Email the team or contact them on 0343 222 7777.

Group of five people holding safeguarding shield

You have the right to:

  • be respected and not treated badly or bullied
  • live free from violence, fear and abuse
  • be protected from harm
  • be independent

Safeguarding Adults aims to prevent and respond to allegations of abuse, harm or neglect of adults at risk. View our booklet on how to make safeguarding personal (PDF).

Safe guarding alert shield

If you or someone you know is suffering from harm, abuse or exploitation, do not keep silent. You can tell someone you trust, such as:

  • family and friends
  • supporters and social workers
  • community nurses

Three people pointing at a man

Hate crime is any behaviour that you think has happened to you because of disability, race, religion or sexual orientation.

Report hate crimes online

You can also email the team or contact them on 020 8379 4612.

Forced marriage happens when two people are made to get married when they do not want to, or do not understand what married means. This is against the law.

View our forced marriage document (PDF).

Or you can call 020 8379 3196 or 020 8379 5212 out of hours.

Report abuse online

Useful services and organisations

Enfield emergency card

Enfield Emergency Card gives people with serious health conditions and their carers peace of mind when they are travelling alone. The card makes it easier to get help and lets others know you need support.

Community Help Point Scheme logoThe Community Help Point scheme is for if you are lost or need help in the community. There are many points of safety in local businesses, libraries, children's centres, youth centres, police stations.

Safer Net logoSaferNet gives advice on staying safe on the Internet, making sure everyone knows about online abuse, and what to do.

Teenage boy about to run

Transition is the movement from children's services to adult services. This is known as 'Moving On' in Enfield.

We support young people from 14-25, as well as their families and friends, to make sure that the transition is as smooth as possible.

We also:

  • organise transition information events for young people, their families and professionals
  • develop the right services for young people with disabilities
  • provide regular transition training workshops for professionals
  • support the Carer 2 Carer network meetings