Sight and hearing loss

Specialist rehabilitation officers can assess and provide information and specialist equipment to help people struggling with sight or hearing loss to stay independent. For information and advice, visit AskSARA.

Sight problems

Following an assessment we may provide mobility training, training within the home to develop independent living skills, an equipment loan, and referrals to other social teams and agencies. You can request an assessment online or contact the team on 020 8379 1001.

We can also provide information on:

  • eye conditions
  • benefits
  • activities
  • employment
  • housing
  • how to register as blind or partially-sighted

There may be some cost towards the services, but the amount you pay will depend on what services you receive and whether you qualify for financial help. We will support you to complete a financial assessment to work out how much you will need to contribute.

We also run a drop-in service every third Thursday of the month, except for December. Blind and partially sighted people can order equipment, borrow audio books and socialise. A rehabilitation officer will also provide advice. The service is from 10:30am to 12:30pm at:
Park Avenue Resource Centre
65c Park Avenue
Enfield EN1 2HL

For more information, contact the team on 020 8379 6951 or see our services for people who are blind or partially sighted (PDF , 562KB).

Hearing loss

Our Sensory Impairment team run a drop-in service every Wednesday for people who are hard of hearing or deaf (including people who use British sign language). The drop-in service offers:

  • access to a rehabilitation officer
  • equipment assessment and checks
  • information and advice
  • support to complete forms

The service is from 9:30am to 12:30pm at:
At Home Centre
14 Centre Way
Claverings Estate
Edmonton N9 0AH

For more information, email the team or contact them on 020 8379 6951. You can also see our services for people who are deaf or hard of hearing (PDF , 556KB).

British Sign Language interpreting service

From Monday 19 September (and every Monday from 9am to 5pm) we are piloting a new interpreting service, where a hard of hearing customer can come into the Civic Centre and have access to a private and confidential area where they can communicate with a fully qualified BSL interpreter via a video link. Our face to face Customer Service Officers will take the customer to the room, connect with the interpreter and then proceed to help the customer once their needs have been established. We would expect the advisor to also assist with completing forms, accessing online functions and setting up an Enfield Connected account.

We also offer a face to face British Sign Language interpreter at the Civic Centre on the first Friday of every month from 9am to 3pm.
The British Sign Language interpreter is based at our front reception desk and can contact Enfield Council staff on your behalf to help with any enquires you may have. Although we will try to provide the same interpreter, this is not always possible.