Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Extra help with rent and Council Tax

If you receive Housing Benefit, Universal Credit housing costs or Council Tax Support and still have difficulty paying your rent or Council Tax, you may get a Council Tax Support Hardship payment or a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

If you make a claim for a DHP you will also be considered for a Council Tax Hardship payment. To get help with your Council Tax only you should complete the Council Tax Hardship application.

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

You can apply for a DHP if you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs and think that you need extra help paying your rent.

Before applying, you should tell us or the Jobcentre about your current situation to receive the correct payments. The DHP Fund is limited so we will look at your income and expenses to make a decision.

You may need to give evidence of:

  • attempts you have made to improve your situation (moving to an affordable home, negotiating rent reduction or payments with your landlord)
  • steps you took to maximise your income by claiming all benefits you are entitled to or seeking help with debts and money management
  • money you get and spend (bank statements within the last two months and savings accounts)
  • rent arrears (rent statement, bank statement, rent book or rent receipts)
  • anyone who lives with you who has the ability to give financial help
  • notice to leave your home
  • your household health and disabilities (doctor's letter and disability benefit)

If you receive Universal Credit you must also provide the following:

  • proof you are receiving Universal Credit housing costs
  • proof of your most recent two months Universal Credit awards
  • your most recent tenancy agreement
  • your landlord's contact details

You should answer all the questions and give your contact details so we can get in touch if we have any queries.

If your claim is successful, we will send you a letter with details of the payment.

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment

View our Discretionary Housing Payments Policy (PDF).

Disagreeing with your Discretionary Housing Payment decision

If you disagree with our decision, you can request a review of our decision by emailing revs@enfield.gov.uk. Your request must be made within one month of receiving the decision letter.

We are offering a discretionary scheme which makes our review decision final with no right of appeal.

Council Tax Support Hardship Scheme

You can apply for a Council Tax Hardship payment if you get Council Tax Support and have severe difficulty paying your Council Tax.

You are eligible if you are:

  • registered as a Council Tax payer
  • in receipt of Council Tax Support
  • actively taking steps to address your financial hardship

We will use the information given in your Council Tax Support claim to make a decision.

You should only apply if you are asking for help with your Council Tax. Before applying you should check if you are entitled to a Council Tax discount.

Apply for a Council Tax hardship payment

Emergency Support Scheme

You should speak to your social worker if you need help:

  • getting food
  • finding furniture to resettle or stay in accommodation, instead of an institution, hospital or residential home

If you don’t have a social worker but need help getting food, you may be able to get food vouchers from:

For help with resettling, speak to the person who is housing you to see if they can help.