Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

If you need help paying your rent you can claim Universal Credit, unless you: 

  • live in temporary accommodation
  • live in supported accommodation
  • are of state pension age

If any of these apply, you can use the benefits calculator to see if you're eligible for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.

From 27 January 2021, if you receive a severe disability premium you should claim your housing costs through Universal Credit.

For more information on Universal Credit and to claim, visit GOV.UK.

Once you have completed the benefits calculator you will be told what benefits you may be entitled to and will be able to apply online. You will be asked to upgrade your Enfield Connected account to use the calculator if you don’t already have one.

View the benefits frequently asked questions (PDF).

Start the benefits calculator

If you've had a change in your income, savings, childcare costs or household, you need to let us know within one month of the change coming into effect. To find out how, see change of circumstances.

Documentation requirements

To apply, you may need to provide evidence relating to your identity, rent, income and capital.

How to provide evidence

You should email your documents, including your proof of identity to revs@enfield.gov.uk. If you have a smart phone, you can email a photo of your documents. The subject line must be your reference number inside pointed brackets, for example <XXXXXXXX>. Attach the photo of your documents and send an explanation if needed. You will receive an automated response confirming receipt of your email.

Do not send in any documents by post, or bring them to the Civic Centre, Edmonton Green or any of the libraries until further notice.

View the contact details and opening hours.

You can track the progress of your application in your Enfield Connected account. You should wait ten working days after submitting your application and all required documents before asking about your application.

You may get Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support if you:

  • are a full time student who is disabled
  • are a single parent
  • are claiming benefits
  • are on a low income
  • are receiving Guarantee Pension Credit (you can have savings over £16,000)
  • are self-employed
  • get Income Support or Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • have exceptional leave to remain in the UK
  • have humanitarian protection
  • have refugee status
  • have savings or assets below £16,000 (For Housing Benefit eligibility only. This does not include the property you live in.)
  • have savings or assets below £6,000 (For Council Tax Support eligibility only. This does not include the property you live in.)

If you arrived in the UK within the last five years and wish to claim benefit, you will need to prove your right to stay in this country. We will ask you to provide extra information so that a decision may be made.

If you are an EU citizen and were living in the UK by 31 December 2020, now is the time to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. You could lose your rights to live and work in the UK if you miss the deadline on 30 June 2021. You can complete the application online today, and there is lots of support available if you have any questions. Apply at GOV.UK – apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. For more information visit our Enfield and Brexit page.

More information about eligibility is available at GOV.UK. However, if you are unsure whether you are eligible for or entitled to Housing Benefit, the best way to find out is to use our benefits calculator. If our assessment shows you are eligible and entitled, you will then be able to make a claim.

Before you apply for Council Tax Support, find out more about discounts, disregards and exemptions by visiting the Council Tax discounts page. If you then think you may be eligible for a discount or disregard, complete the relevant forms first before you apply for Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit.

Start the benefits calculator

Council Tax payments for people receiving Council Tax Support

If you are of working age you will need to pay 24.5% towards your Council Tax.

You will not have to pay this amount if you get:

  • Disability Living Allowance
    • Care component - highest rate
    • Mobility component - higher rate
  • Personal Independence Payment
    • Daily living component - enhanced rate
    • Mobility component - enhanced rate
  • Employment and Support Allowance
    • Support group component
  • Carer's Allowance

You will also not have to pay this amount if you are:

  • a foster carer recruited, trained and supported by Enfield Council
  • single and under 25 years old, including care leavers

For more information on Council Tax Support, refer to the Council Tax Support scheme (PDF) or the Council Tax Support scheme summary (PDF).

EU Settlement Scheme

If you're from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you and your family might be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.

The deadline to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme was 30 June 2021. You can still apply if you or a family member were living in the UK by 31 December 2020 and meet one of the criteria for a later deadline to apply, or have 'reasonable grounds' for not applying by 30 June 2021.

To apply and for further guidance, visit GOV.UK - Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme or telephone the government helpline on 0300 123 7379.

Residents who have not applied for settled status will be considered unlawfully present in the United Kingdom. They will be at risk of losing access to employment and benefits, as well as being subject to other sanctions, such as being unable to rent from a private landlord in England or get free secondary healthcare.

It is important that you and your family apply without delay – even if you have a UK permanent residence document.

Enfield's EU residents have made a huge contribution to life in our borough, and we want as many to stay here and continue to contribute towards our way of life as possible.

Support to help you apply

If you need help applying to the EU Settlement Scheme, you can contact:

  • Citizens Advice Enfield for information, telephone advice or face-to-face appointments on 0808 278 7837, or email euss@enfieldcab.org.uk. For more information, Citizens Advice Enfield – EU Settlement Scheme.
  • Enfield Council on 020 8379 1000 (select option 7) and one of our officers will provide useful guidance on how you can process your application

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, please email revs@enfield.gov.uk, with your benefit reference number in the subject field inside brackets, for example <1234567>, and send us proof of your (pre)settled status.

Once we have assessed your application and worked out you are eligible we will write to you to let you know. If you are having problems understanding your notification letter, view our example benefits letter (PDF) or watch the help video.

We will pay Housing Benefit in arrears, into your bank account if you are a private sector tenant. If you are a council tenant we will credit your rent account.

You can tell us if you think you are missing a Housing Benefit payment and we will get back to you within ten working days.

Tell us about a missing Housing Benefit payment

Council Tax Support payments will be credited directly into your Council Tax account.

If you are having difficulty managing your rent or you are eight or more weeks behind with your payments, we can make payments to your landlord. You will need to provide evidence so that we can make that change.

Backdating your claim

We may backdate your claim if you provide proof of continuous good reason for not applying earlier for the whole period of your request.

If you have already made a claim but would like to have your claim backdated, you need to make your request in writing.

Email revs@enfield.gov.uk with your capital and income evidence to request that your claim be backdated or post to the above address. Make sure the subject of your email includes your Housing Benefit reference number inside angled brackets, for example <XXXXXXXXX>.

To appeal your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support decision, you must check the information we used to calculate the amount we will pay you. If you think this is incorrect, you can request a review of our decision and tell us why you think this is wrong by emailing revs@enfield.gov.uk.

If we do not change our decision, you can appeal. For more information, refer to GOV.UK.

If you are a private tenant, your Housing Benefit is based on the Local Housing Allowance (LHA). You cannot appeal against the LHA rates.


If you disagree with an overpayment decision, you can request a review by emailing revs@enfield.gov.uk. Your request must be made within one month of receiving the decision letter and should say why you think the decision is wrong.