Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram


A death can be registered with us once one of two things has happened:

  • a medical certificate has been given to you by a GP or hospital doctor
  • a coroner has sent us their certificate

If the death happens in Enfield and a coroner is not involved, it needs to be registered within five days.

If a death happens outside Enfield you can make a declaration.

You need to book an appointment to register a death. Appointments take around 40 minutes. You can book an appointment online or call 020 8379 1000. You will need to arrive five minutes before your appointment. If you are late, you will be asked to book a new appointment.

Appointments are available Monday to Friday at the Enfield Register Office. You cannot register a death on a Saturday or Sunday. If, for religious reasons, you need a same-day burial notice on a weekend or bank holiday, call 020 8379 1000.

Book a death registration appointment

A death should be registered by a relative of the deceased. If this is not possible, it should be registered by an adult who was present at the death or the person responsible for arranging the funeral with the undertaker.

To register the death, the registrar will need a valid Medical Cause of Death Certificate issued by a GP or hospital doctor or a coroner's certificate. The registrar will also need to know the following about the person who has died:

  • date and place of death
  • full name
  • date and place of birth
  • occupation
  • address
  • National Health Service Number, if available
  • information about their pension or other benefits received from government

If the person who has died was married or in a civil partnership, the registrar will also need to know the following about their husband, wife or civil partner:

  • full name
  • date of birth
  • occupation

This is required even if the husband, wife or civil partner is also deceased.

It is also helpful, but not essential, to bring these documents belonging to the person who has died:

  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • NHS medical card

You will need to bring more documents and information if you want to use our Tell Us Once service.

There is no charge for registering a death. You will be given a 'green form' to give to your undertaker and a BD8 form for the Department of Work and Pensions.

Death certificates cost a fee. We accept payment by credit or debit card only.

For information on dealing with bereavement, view our bereavement guide..

If the death did not occur in Enfield but it's easier for you to visit the Enfield Register Office, you can make a declaration.

To do this, you book an appointment in the usual way. When the appointment is finished the registrar will send your declaration to the correct register office for you. We cannot give you any certificates.

This service is free. If you want any death certificates, bring a chequebook or postal orders to your appointment. For security reasons, these are the only payment methods we can send with your declaration.

The register office that receives your declaration will post the 'green form' that the undertaker needs and the death certificates to you. This means that it will take longer for you to arrange the funeral than it would if you were to register the death at the appropriate register office.

We offer a service that aims to make things easier when someone dies. The service lets you tell most government departments about the death in one go. You will just need to tell us who to tell.

Tell Us Once will contact:

  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • HM Passport Office
  • HM Revenue and Customs (tax office)
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
  • war pension
  • council departments including Housing, Housing Benefit, Child Benefit, Council Tax, Tax Credits, libraries, Adult Services, Electoral Services and Blue Badges

You can inform the registrar that you wish to use this service when you register the death.

You will need to tell us the deceased person's National Insurance Number. If they were married or in a civil partnership, you will need to provide the National Insurance Number of their husband, wife or civil partner.

If you want to tell the passport office, Blue Badge or DVLA, you will need to bring the deceased person's:

  • passport
  • Blue Badge
  • driving licence

When you register the death you will be given a special reference number that enables you to use the Tell Us Once service after you leave the register office. You can use the service online or by phone within 28 days of receiving this number.