Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Registering a stillbirth

The stillbirth of a baby needs to be formally registered. We appreciate how difficult this can be for parents at a very emotional time.

Your baby needs to be registered within 42 days of the stillbirth in the district where the birth took place.

Special arrangements are in place to allow you to register a stillbirth over the telephone. You need to book an appointment to register a stillbirth. Appointments take around 30 minutes and are available Monday to Friday.

You can book an appointment online or call 020 8379 1000.

If the baby’s parents are married, either the mother or father can register the stillbirth. If the baby’s natural parents are not married to each other, both of them must register the baby over the telephone together. You must not attend the Enfield Register Office to register a stillbirth. The registrar will call you on the number you provide at the appointment time and guide you through the registration.

It is possible for an unmarried mother to register the stillbirth on her own but, if she does, the natural father's details can't be included on the stillbirth certificate.

The mother has the right to choose not to include the father's details on the certificate if the mother and father are not married to each other.

If the mother has a female partner and wishes to record her as the baby’s parent, we recommend both parents are available for the telephone registration.

To register the stillbirth we need a valid medical certificate. The GP or hospital doctor or midwife will email this to us before your appointment.

The certificate must be completed in full by the doctor or midwife before the registration can take place and must have their signature and qualification clearly visible on it.

At the registration, the registrar will need to know these details about the baby:

  • the date of the stillbirth
  • the place of the stillbirth
  • if baby was a boy or girl
  • the name and surname you would like to give. You do not need to give the baby a name if you do not wish to.

The registrar will need to know these details about the baby’s mother:

  • full forenames and surname
  • maiden surname, if she is or has ever been married
  • date of birth
  • place of birth
  • occupation
  • address
  • date of marriage if she was married to the baby's father at the time of the stillbirth
  • the number of children she has already

Where the baby’s other parent’s details are to be registered, the registrar will need to know these details about them:

  • full forenames and surname
  • date of birth
  • place of birth
  • occupation
  • address

Though it is not essential, it may be helpful for the baby’s parents to find these documents:

  • passports
  • marriage certificate
  • Biometric Resident Permit (BRP)
  • birth certificates
  • evidence of their address or addresses

There is no charge for registering a stillbirth.

The registrar will issue one free Certificate of Registration. This shows limited information and all the registration details.

If you need more standard certificates showing all the registration details, there is a fee. We accept payment by credit or debit card only.

A form will be sent electronically to your appointed funeral director in order for the baby’s funeral to take place.

Making a declaration

This service is currently suspended, as you can register a stillbirth over the telephone. If your baby was stillborn outside Enfield, please contact the registrar in the district where the stillbirth occurred.

If you have any questions about registering a stillbirth, contact us.