Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Child performance licence

To take part in performances, babies and children in Enfield must be licensed by us, until they are no longer of compulsory school age. Performances include:

  • films, plays, concerts or other public performances that the audience pays to see, or that take place on licensed premises
  • paid sporting events or modelling assignments

A child does not need a licence if:

  • they have not performed for more than three days in the last six months
  • they do not need time off from school to perform
  • no payment in respect of the child is made, except expenses
  • the performance is under arrangements made by a school

If a child is exempt from a licence, certain conditions and restrictions will still apply to the performance. For more information, see the Children Performances and Activities Regulations 2014 (PDF)

The person responsible for the performance production should apply for the licence. They must be the organiser of the event or activity, or the person wishing to hire the child as a model. This can be a corporation if an appointed person signs the application. They are then legally responsible for the child and ensuring the acts and regulations are complied with.

The applicant cannot be the proprietor of a drama or dance school, or someone (such as an agent), who provides children for a production but does not present the production. We require a minimum of ten working days for licence applications to be processed.

When considering an application we make sure that:

  • the child's health and education will not be affected
  • the venue of the performance or rehearsal is suitable
  • all conditions of the licence will be maintained
  • if the child is under 14, a declaration of the nature of the performance must be provided

Part one of the application should be completed by the licence applicant, and part two must be completed by the parent or guardian of the child. The parent or guardian should also submit:

  • a copy of the child's birth certificate
  • two identical passport-sized photographs

A school letter advising absence from school will be authorised by the Head teacher.

It is a criminal offence to employ a child without registering, or to breach any regulations regarding the employment of children. We will take legal action against anyone committing such offences.

For more information see:

Apply for a licence (PDF)

Licence applications should be emailed to ews@enfield.gov.uk.

If your application is unsuccessful, you may appeal to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.