Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Latest licensing updates and measures

Licence holders must follow all government guidance by regularly checking GOV.UK/coronavirus for updates.

Face-to-face appointments

This service is not available.

Submitting applications

All applications must be sent electronically to licensing@enfield.gov.uk. Do not send applications by post.

During this time, all applications will take longer to review and process.

You can download copies of all our applications.

Your application must be signed and include all necessary documentation. If you don't have scanned/electronic copies of documents, you can provide photographs. Images of documents must be clear and legible.

Payments must be made online, or by following the steps below:

  • Visit our licensing fees page
  • Click on 'pay all other licence fees'
  • Enter existing licence number if applicable, or name of premises into the first
  • Enter the type of licence you are paying for into the second box
  • Email payment confirmation to licensing@enfield.gov.uk

Annual fees

Annual fees must still be paid. There are currently no exemptions to this.

If you fail to pay your annual fee (licences issued under the Licensing Act 2003 and the Gambling Act 2005) the council will suspend your licence. It will only be reinstated once the outstanding fee is paid.


If your premises are still permitted to be open during the emergency period, and you fail to pay the renewal fee (all other licence types), the licence will expire.

If your premises are required to be closed by law during the emergency period, you will still receive the renewal payment reminder before your licence expires. The letter will give you the option to delay payment until two months after your premises are permitted to reopen. The fee will remain the same. However, you will receive an extension to the new licence period by the number of months to match the number of months the premises had to be closed.

Animal licensing

Regulation 9 of the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 allows the local authority to vary licences by extending the licence period for three months, where necessary, during this emergency period. Licence holders must make this request by emailing licensing@enfield.gov.uk before the current licence period expires.

Temporary Event Notices (TENs)

If you want to maintain your available number of TENs for the rest of the year, you can cancel the ones that you can't proceed with now, or you may provide us with an alternative date, for no extra fee.

Only the event date can change, the times and activities must remain as per the original application. The proposed new date will be subject to further consultation, therefore it can't be assumed the rearranged date will be agreed.

There is no provision for the return of the £21 fee that you paid.

Pavement licences

We have introduced a new Enjoy Enfield Safely Pavement Licence, to allow businesses to apply to place temporary furniture, such as tables and chairs, outside cafes, bars and restaurants.

To apply for this licence, visit our Street Trading Licence page.

Following the government announcement of the reopening of the hospitality sector on 4 July 2020, the guidance for restaurants, pubs, bars and takeaway services (PDF) has been updated.

This guidance applies to any food preparation or service setting where food and drink is sold for consumption at venues, or for takeaway or delivery.

It's your responsibility to assess the risk and to put in place the necessary control measures.

You must have arrangements to manage social distancing, such as queues inside and outside of the premises to ensure there is adequate social distancing between customers and employees.

On 22 July 2020, new legislation (Business and Planning Act 2020) came into force which allows businesses to apply for a pavement licence. The act also makes temporary amendments to the Licensing Act 2003, to allow premise licence holders with existing permission for on-sales of alcohol to sell alcohol for consumption off the premises without needing to apply for a variation of their licence. 

The visitor economy guidance at GOV.UK is for people who work in hotels and guest accommodation, indoor and outdoor attractions, and business events and consumer shows.

The government has released the roadmap for dates where some local businesses can reopen their doors to customers.

Business and activities

Step 2, which will be no earlier than 12 April, will see the opening of non-essential retail businesses.

This includes:

  • personal care premises such as hairdressers and nail salons
  • public buildings, including libraries and community centres
  • indoor leisure facilities such as gyms
  • most outdoor attractions and settings including outdoor hospitality venues, zoos, theme parks, and drive-in cinemas
  • self-contained accommodation such as campsites and holiday lets, where indoor facilities are not shared with other households, can also reopen


Hospitality venues will be allowed to serve people outdoors at Step 2. There will be no need for customers to order a substantial meal with alcoholic drinks, and no curfew. However customers must order, eat and drink while seated (‘table service’). Wider social contact rules will apply in all these settings to prevent indoor mixing between different households.


While funerals can continue with up to 30 mourners, the number of people able to attend weddings, receptions and commemorative events such as wakes will increase to 15.

Updated guidance for these services and which businesses must remain closed can be found at GOV.UK - COVID-19 response.

Step 2 – no earlier than 12 April

From Step 2 in the government’s roadmap out of national lockdown, funerals can continue with up to 30 mourners. The number of people able to attend weddings, receptions and commemorative events such as wakes will increase to 15.

Step 3 – no earlier than 17 May

As part of Step 3 in the government’s roadmap out of lockdown, no earlier than 17 May will they be easing the limits on seeing friends and family wherever possible, allowing people to decide on the appropriate level of risk for their circumstances.

This means that most legal restrictions on meeting others outdoors will be lifted - although gatherings of over 30 people will remain illegal. Indoors, the rule of six, or two households, will apply - we will keep under review whether it is safe to increase this.

If your event is due to take place in a park and you already hold a Premises Licence, email parkactivities@enfield.gov.uk to discuss the possibility of rescheduling.

If you have conditions on your licence which specify that the event will only take place on specific days or within a specific window of time, you will need to apply for a minor variation or a full variation.

Email licensing@enfield.gov.uk if you have any of queries.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No.2) (England) Regulations 2020 have been updated to reflect the gradual lifting of restrictions, and lists which premises are still required to be closed. You can also check GOV.UK for government guidance on whether your business or venue is allowed to reopen.

Officers will use their powers under Regulation 7 of the Health Protection Regulations to close non-compliant premises and prosecute those responsible.

Council officers will be undertaking checks to ensure businesses are complying with the new regulations.

We will continue to update this guidance as necessary. If you have an urgent specific query you can contact us by emailing licensing@enfield.gov.uk. Due to the anticipated volume of enquiries please be aware that it may take some time to respond.