You need a licence to:
- run a scrap metal dealership or scrapyard
- recover parts from motor vehicles for re-use or sale
- buy written-off vehicles to repair and resell them
- collect scrap metal to sell to a scrap metal business
You can use our application forms to apply for a new licence or make a variation to an existing licence.
It is a criminal offence to carry out unlicensed activities and, if convicted, you could be given a £5,000 fine.
Apply for a new licence (PDF, 292KB)
Apply for a variation on an existing licence (PDF, 292KB)
If your application is unsuccessful, you may appeal to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.
For more information visit:
- our fees page for the relevant fee
- our online Licence Register where all applications and licences are recorded
- GOV.UK for the rules about scrap metal licences