Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Street trading licence

Enjoy Enfield safely logo

Enjoy Enfield Safely pavement licence

A pavement licence allows businesses to place temporary furniture, such as tables and chairs, outside cafes, bars and restaurants.

The licence application fee is £100. If granted, the licence is valid until the end of September 2022. As long as businesses are not causing an obstruction, applicants can place tables and chairs outside of their premises whilst their application is being determined.

We encourage pavement licence holders to use the free resources from the CPNI (Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure) website, to help improve vigilance in their employees.

Managers and supervisors of business who have pavement licences at Fountain Island, Enfield Town, are also encouraged to download the MPS PSO 'London Shield' app to their mobile phones.

Apply for a pavement licence (PDF)

Standard conditions (PDF) will be applied to licences, including the condition that smoking is prohibited in licensed areas. In certain circumstances, special conditions may also be applied.

View premises which have been granted a pavement licence (PDF) and premises with a current application (PDF).

If you want to submit a representation to a current application, you must email licensing@enfield.gov.uk before the last date of the consultation period.

If you have any questions, email licensing@enfield.gov.uk.

Further information about the new pavement licence

The Business and Planning Act 2020 allows businesses to apply for a licence to enable them to place temporary furniture, such as tables and chairs, outside cafes, bars and restaurants.

The application process requires a seven-day public consultation period. During this time the applicant must display the Site Notice advertising the application. Applicants will receive notification of the outcome of the application 14 days after it is submitted.

This legislation also makes temporary amendments to the Licensing Act 2003, which permits premises licence holders who are licensed to serve alcohol on-premises, to also sell alcohol for consumption off the premises without needing to apply for a variation of their licence.

You can view the pavement licences draft guidance at GOV.UK.

Other street trading licences

If the pavement licence does not meet your requirements, you may need one of the following street trading licences, which if granted, will allow you to:

  • set up seasonal and farmers' market stalls on the highway on a designated street
  • set up tables and chairs outside cafés, restaurants and public houses situated on a designated street
  • display goods outside shops at 2-20 and 3-37 Ashfield Parade, Southgate
  • provide temporary street trading not exceeding 6 months

This does not include pedlars, news vendors, milkmen or sales on private land. A licence is not required to place goods for sale on land which forms part of the premises (not the highway). Displaying goods, including fruits and vegetables, on the highway outside a premises is not permitted. For a full list of designated streets, see our application forms.

It is a criminal offence to carry out unlicensed activities and, if convicted, you could be given a £1,000 fine.

The terms, conditions and restrictions of the licence must be complied with whenever the licence is in use. View the Street Trading Tables and Chairs Standard Conditions (PDF).

Apply for a temporary street trading (tables and chairs) licence (PDF)

Apply for a tables and chairs for outside seating licence (PDF)

Apply for a shop forecourt licence (PDF)

If your application is unsuccessful, you may appeal to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.

For more information see: