Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

An EHCP is written in partnership with you and your child. It describes the additional specialist support your child requires in order to meet their outcomes. The EHCP will assess and consider your child's education, health and care needs. Before the EHCP is written, professionals will involve you in assessing your child's needs.

EHCP has replaced the Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) and the Learning Difficulties Assessment (LDA). There will be more emphasis on the views of children, young people and their parents in decision making. You will be asked to complete the all about me section (PDF) with your child as part of the assessment process. This helps us to get to know your child. Professionals will be expected to work with families about the things that are important to them in order to help them achieve their aspirations and outcomes. EHCP will be reviewed annually.

See how young people have contributed to their EHCP by visiting My EHCP.

Our EHCP pathway (PDF) explains the assessment process that you will go through, which may result in an EHCP for your child. There is also a guide for parents and carers to the SEND reforms, which describes how the new system works.

If your child requires specialist support their needs will have been considered during an assessment. The assessment considers the support your child requires to ensure they do well at school, stay healthy and safe, enjoy themselves with friends and develop independent skills. This should help lead to long-term opportunities, including higher education and employment. These are called outcomes and will be written into your child's EHCP.

A child or young person is entitled to an EHCP if they:

  • have a severe or complex long-term need that affects everyday life
  • require help and resources that are not normally available
  • need intensive help and support from more than one agency
  • show evidence that they are making limited or no progress, despite high levels of support
  • show evidence of a graduated response to interventions, support and resources already in place

Request an EHCP assessment as a parent (PDF)

Request an EHCP assessment as an educational setting (PDF)

Request an EHCP assessment as a young person (16 to 25) (PDF)

If you're a parent, carer or a young person, you should discuss your request with your school's Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) or Inclusion Manager, as they can provide you with support for your application.

The SEN Team and the Independent Support Service are also here to help you with any questions you might have about your application, and to provide support and guidance in completing the forms.

For more information, email sen@enfield.gov.uk or contact us on 020 8379 5667.

Personalisation means thinking about care and support services in a new way and giving families choices about how and when they are supported.

The Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Reforms are part of the Children and Families Act 2014, and have strengthened the personalisation approach so we can work with you to personalise your support and services.

Personal budget

Personal budgets are a sum of money allocated to deliver all, or some of the services and support set out in an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). If your child has an EHCP, you have the right to ask for a personal budget.

Having a personal budget is optional and will be discussed with you as part of the EHCP planning process. If everyone agrees that a personal budget is the best way forward, this will be written in the EHCP, subject to meeting the eligibility criteria. Parents and young people may also request a personal budget during a statutory review of an existing plan.


Most education funding is already committed to providing a range of services to children and young people with SEND and is not available for use as a personal budget. Over the next few years, we will be working with our partners to ensure funding is available to promote personal budgets, where it is clear that this will be the best way to meet children's outcomes. This will be progressed with the Our Voice Parent Forum and Enfield SEND Information, Advice and Support Service.

Occasionally, if a personal budget is necessary, we may be unable to release funding that is currently supporting other services to children and young people. The final decision will be made by a panel of professionals as part of the EHCP process. If families disagree with the decision, after receiving the draft plan they have 15 days to comment and identify their concerns.

Social care personal budgets are available for children and young people who may be eligible for a direct payment or short break grant. They will have a long term physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial effect on their ability to carry out day-to-day activities.

A personal health budget is available if a child or young person meets the continuing care criteria.

Applying for a personal budget

To be eligible for a personal budget:

  • a child or young person must have an EHCP
  • it must be agreed that the allocation of a personal budget is the most effective way of meeting the outcomes identified in the EHCP

To apply for a personal budget, parents and young people over 16 can discuss the option of a personal budget at a multi-agency meeting arranged by the school to agree their outcomes.

The panel which considers the request for the EHCP, will consider the request for a personal budget. If an EHCP is agreed, details of the personal budget will be included in the draft EHCP. After receiving the draft plan, families have 15 days to confirm whether they want to proceed with a personal budget.

Managing a personal budget

If a child or young person is eligible for a personal budget, there are many ways a parent, carer or young person can be supported:

  • Direct payments where individuals receive the cash to contract, purchase and manage the services themselves.
  • An arrangement where the local authority, school or college holds the funds and commissions the support specified in the EHCP.
  • Third party arrangements where funds are paid to and managed by an individual or organisation on behalf of the parent, carer or young person.
  • A combination of the above.

If you choose to take your personal budget as a direct payment you will need to undergo a series of basic checks, set up a separate bank account, and provide receipts so your personal budget can be monitored.

Advice, guidance and support will be provided at all stages of the process. We recognise that circumstances change and will work with families to respond to their evolving needs.

If your personal budget is not used correctly or appropriately, it will be withdrawn.

Useful contacts

Your Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) assesses your education, health and care needs.

It replaces the Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) and Learning Difficulties Assessment (LDA), so there's more focus on your views.

If your needs aren't being met at your school or college, you can talk to them about an EHC needs assessment. They'll ask you to complete the EHCP all about me (PDF).

Other young people have made a video about how they used this to show their hopes for the future:

Request an EHCP assessment as a young person aged 16-25 (PDF)

To find out about travel and transport help, including help getting to and from school or college, visit our travel and transport page.

Mediation is the process of informally and voluntarily settling a disagreement. It is designed to allow different parties to discuss and clarify issues, and help settle disagreements. The process is led by an independent third party. You can view more information about mediation and dispute in Enfield.

Tell us what you think about our Local Offer