Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

An EHCP is written in partnership with you and your child. It describes the additional specialist support your child requires in order to meet their outcomes. The EHCP will assess and consider your child's education, health and care needs. Before the EHCP is written, professionals will involve you in assessing your child's needs.

EHCP has replaced the Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) and the Learning Difficulties Assessment (LDA). There will be more emphasis on the views of children, young people and their parents in decision making. You will be asked to complete the all about me section (PDF) with your child as part of the assessment process. This helps us to get to know your child. Professionals will be expected to work with families about the things that are important to them in order to help them achieve their aspirations and outcomes. EHCP will be reviewed annually.

See how young people have contributed to their EHCP by visiting My EHCP.

Our EHCP pathway (PDF) explains the assessment process that you will go through, which may result in an EHCP for your child. There is also a guide for parents and carers to the SEND reforms, which describes how the new system works.

If your child requires specialist support their needs will have been considered during an assessment. The assessment considers the support your child requires to ensure they do well at school, stay healthy and safe, enjoy themselves with friends and develop independent skills. This should help lead to long-term opportunities, including higher education and employment. These are called outcomes and will be written into your child’s EHCP.

A child or young person is entitled to an EHCP if they:

  • have a severe or complex long-term need that affects everyday life
  • require help and resources that are not normally available
  • need intensive help and support from more than one agency
  • show evidence that they are making limited or no progress, despite high levels of support
  • show evidence of a graduated response to interventions, support and resources already in place

Request an EHCP assessment as a parent (PDF)

Request an EHCP assessment as an educational setting (PDF)

Request an EHCP assessment as a young person (16-25) (PDF)

If you’re a parent, carer or a young person, you should discuss your request with your school’s Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) or Inclusion Manager, as they can provide you with support for your application.

The SEN Team and the Independent Support Service are also here to help you with any questions you might have about your application, and to provide support and guidance in completing the forms.

For more information, email sen@enfield.gov.uk or contact us on 020 8379 5667.