Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Health in Transition

There are changes to how young people with SEND receive their health care services once they become 18.

If your Moving On assessment identifies that you're eligible for support and services from the Integrated Learning Disabilities Service (ILDS), you can email learning.disabilities@enfield.gov.uk or call them on 020 8379 3100 for more information.

The Integrated Learning Disabilities Service

Every special school has a care co-ordinator from the ILDS who works with young people and their parents during the transition from childhood to adulthood. They provide information and advice about eligibility for adult social care. Ask your school for more information.

If a young person remains in education and has health needs, these will be identified on their Education, Health and Care Plan. They are likely to be provided by the ILDS which consists of:

  • nurses
  • occupational therapists
  • speech and language therapists
  • psychologists
  • social workers
  • art therapists

If you are eligible for services from the ILDS, the Community Learning Disability Nursing service works with young people who need support to access health services and maintain a healthier lifestyle.

It might be helpful to complete a health action plan which lists your appointments and the health professionals involved in your care. Make sure you have a hospital passport which tells health workers about your health and how to talk and listen to you. If you need help completing the hospital passport, you can contact the ILDS.

If a young person has a physical disability, a self-assessment can be completed to see if they're eligible for support and equipment so they can continue to live independently. If you're receiving any financial assistance from the ILDS, you can access one of the healthy living drop in sessions.

You can also self-refer to Park Avenue Disability Resource Centre which offers a range of therapies, costing £6 for half an hour, including meditation, massage and Reiki.

Help from the hospital

If a young person is under the care of a consultant or paediatrician, ask them to refer you to a hospital that can continue to meet your young person’s health needs in transition and then in adulthood.

Hospitals are expected to make reasonable adjustments, to make sure disabled young people can get the help they need. This includes:

  • learning disability liaison nurses giving advice, support and training to staff
  • help with planning admissions
  • linking with specialist disability services, families, carers, GPs and other organisations.

For more information visit Royal Free London NHS Trust or North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust.

Help from your GP

Young people aged 14 to 18 are entitled to an annual health check with their GP. Make sure you're registered as having a learning disability then you should be invited yearly to have a health check. More information can be found in our Health check leaflet (PDF).

Visit your GP if you have any health concerns, they can refer you to a specialist if required. You can get appointments for blood tests at your local hospital or sometimes it can be done at your GP surgery. If a young person requires feeding supplements, these will continue to be provided through their GP. If you have concerns about their weight, ask for a referral to a dietician.

You can also find out about getting special help with medical appointments.