Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Health services

General Practitioner (GP)

A GP deals with a wide range of health issues including general health advice, contraception, maternity services and vaccinations. If the GP can’t help, they may refer you to a hospital for tests or treatment, or to specialist services if you need them.

It’s important that you register with your nearest GP practice by completing a registration form.

Maternity services

Women can give birth in their home, or any maternity unit or birthing centre they choose. You can self-refer for maternity care or see your GP to make a referral. To self-refer, visit your chosen hospital in person, or look on their website.

It is important that you see a midwife by ten weeks of your pregnancy so you know all the essential information and are able to have the proper tests and scans. You should contact your midwife or your GP as soon as you know you are pregnant.

Health visitor

The health visiting service is automatically informed of the birth of all babies by the midwifery services. A visit is usually arranged 10-14 days after the birth. If your baby is diagnosed with medical needs requiring additional support, this is usually referred to all appropriate services at the time of diagnosis. Your health visitor will be able to support you if you have concerns at a later stage with your child's development.

For information on your health visitor, visit your local children's centre.

School nursing service

Every school has a named school nurse who:

  • gives specialist advice to children and their families
  • provides immunisations in school
  • assists with infectious outbreaks closely linking with Health Protection Agency colleagues
  • supports national and local strategies for improving health

Vaccinations and immunisations

It is important to make sure your child has their routine vaccinations at the right age, to protect them as early as possible and minimise the risk of infection. Childhood vaccinations are offered free on the NHS to all children. The first injections are due when your baby is two months old.

For more information, see the NHS vaccination timetable.

Bladder and bowel problems affect people of any age and have a huge impact on an individual’s quality of life. The continence service undertakes assessments to promote continence and provide training to nursing and care home staff. We act as a resource and provide information on continence related issues and concerns. If continence cannot be achieved, we can provide containment aids. The enuresis service is currently provided by Chase Farm Hospital.

Accessing the service

Children must live in Enfield, or have a GP in Enfield, which will allow them to be seen in clinics that run all day Monday, Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.

Referrals can be made by GPs, hospital staff, any member of the multi-disciplinary team and nurse colleagues. Carers or families can refer to the service if the GP is unable to.

Products are provided from the age of three and families should approach the health visitor or school nurse who will assess for these. Children can be expected to be seen within three to six weeks of the service receiving the referral.

After receiving a referral, a letter is sent requesting families or carers to contact the continence team and make an appointment.

For more information, contact the team on 020 8702 5820.

You can also visit:

The community paediatric dietetic service provides a specialist service to children and young people under 19, who have identified nutritional problems with neurodevelopmental conditions and syndromes, and attend a special needs school in Enfield.

The service works in partnership with parents, carers, children centres, schools, and multi-disciplinary teams.


Referrals are only accepted if the patient is under 19, lives in Enfield and is referred by:

  • GPs
  • Hospital Consultants
  • Community Paediatricians
  • Acute dieticians referring from tertiary hospitals
  • Paediatric Speech Therapist
  • Paediatric Physiotherapist
  • Paediatric Occupational Therapist
  • Complex Care Nurses
  • School Nurses based at the special needs schools

Accessing the service

Priority one children and young people will be seen within two weeks for issues including home enteral feeding, severe dysphagia, end stage terminal illness, or if they are subject to a child protection plan.

Priority two children and young people will be seen within 8-12 weeks for issues including faltering growth, premature metabolic conditions and conditions compromising nutrition and fluid intake.

Priority three children and young people will be seen within 18 weeks for issues including general nutrition advice, obesity and constipation.

For more information, visit the Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Trust or contact the team on 020 8702 5436.

Occupational therapists help your child develop skills to support them in daily living, playing and learning activities. This may be provided through advice, strategies or equipment. They will work closely with you and your child in the clinic, home or school.

Occupational therapists carry out an assessment of your child’s needs to identify areas of difficulty. They then provide the child and family with new ways of carrying out activities, and support through the provision of specialist equipment and adaptations to the home.


Referrals are only accepted if the patient is under 18, lives in Enfield or has a GP in Enfield, and has:

  • cerebral palsy, hemiplegia and other complex neurological disorders
  • autism spectrum disorder
  • genetic disorders and syndromes
  • dyspraxia
  • brachial plexus injuries
  • ADHD, concentration or learning difficulties
  • complex medical needs and related developmental difficulties
  • gross and fine motor skills, or motor co-ordination difficulties
  • sensory processing disorders
  • global developmental delay

Accessing the service

Registered health professionals or Special Educational Needs Coordinators (SENCo) must refer your child to this service. We aim to see all referrals within 13 weeks. However, there may be a waiting time of six to nine months.

For more information, visit the Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Trust or contact the team on 020 8375 2985.

Paediatric physiotherapy is the treatment and care of babies, children and young people under 18. Paediatric physiotherapists have specialist skills, expert knowledge and experience of child development and childhood disabilities.

We cater for children with a range of disabilities, functional or motor difficulties resulting from neurological impairment, musculoskeletal issues, genetic disorders and mobility issues. The team work closely with patients, carers and school or nursery staff to make sure the physiotherapy strategies are incorporated into the child’s daily routine.


Referrals are only accepted if the patient is under 18, lives in Enfield or has a GP in Enfield.

Accessing the service

Healthcare professionals must refer you to the service. Children with complex needs may be referred by the child development centre and tertiary care hospitals. We aim to see all referrals within 13 weeks.

For more information, visit the Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Trust or contact the team on 020 8702 5640.

Pre-school speech and language

The pre-school speech and language service provides assessment, diagnosis, and interventions for children with speech, language and communication difficulties, and eating and swallowing disorders.

Drop-in clinics are held in children's centres. These are the first point of contact for assessment and advice, if there are concerns regarding children’s speech, language and communication skills. The team work with parents, carers, nurseries and multi-disciplinary teams to provide high quality therapy to children. Specialist advice and training is provided for parents, carers and other professionals.


The service is available to children up to reception age, who live in Enfield or are registered to a GP in Enfield.

Accessing the service

The service can be accessed via the drop-in clinics. These are advertised in local nurseries, children’s centres, or information gained from the speech and language therapy department. Children with complex needs may be referred by the children’s development centre.

Following a drop-in session, we aim to see all children for therapy within 13 weeks. Families will receive a letter inviting them to attend therapy two weeks before the appointment.

Help you can receive

Depending on your child’s needs, you may be referred to:

  • Talk Activity, a ten-week course with three parent workshops about speech, language and communication development. The next seven sessions support parents and their children with planned activities to help language development and achieve individual aims
  • Specific Care Pathways for speech, language and communication needs. In group sessions we support the development of language and social skills. Each group has around six children and lasts 4 to 6 weeks, with a follow-up if needed

Individual support is also available for children with the most severe and complex needs.

Children starting school

Children will be reviewed before they start school in September. The school will then be given advice about what support will benefit your child in their development.

For more information, visit the Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Trust.

School-age speech and language

School-age speech and language services are jointly funded by Health and the council. Speech and language therapists are allocated to mainstream schools and specialist provisions, though some schools also employ their own therapists.

Every mainstream school has a speech and language therapist who works closely with the school’s Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) to screen for possible difficulties as early as possible, and set up interventions to support children using the school’s own resources.


Any child is eligible if:

  • they attend an Enfield school from reception upwards
  • live in Enfield but attend a school outside of the borough, including independent schools or home-schooling situations

Special schools and Additionally Resourced Provision

Each of these settings has an allocated SLT who works very closely with school staff to support children in this setting. Details can be found in each school’s SEN information report on their website. The SLT works in class in order to support embedding language and communication targets into the curriculum.

Accessing the service

Your child’s teacher and the SENCo will discuss what intervention they think your child will benefit from and whether a referral to speech and language services would help. If your child attends an out of borough or independent school, or is home schooled, you can refer to this care pathway yourself.

Your child will be seen within three terms of the referral, although most children are seen much quicker. Urgent referrals will be seen within six weeks.

The SENCo in your child’s school will let you know when the therapist is due to see your child and will arrange an appointment for you to meet them. If your child attends an out of borough or independent school, or is home schooled, you will receive a letter or phone call directly from the department.

For more information, visit the Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Trust or contact the team on 020 8375 2945.

You can also visit RALLI campaign on YouTube for videos of young people with specific language impairment, talking about their needs, what specific language impairment is, and how it is identified.

Tell us what you think about our Local Offer

Visit our Facebook page