Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Specialist support

Primary Behaviour Support Service

The Primary Behaviour Support Service also known as the SWERRL Team (Strengthening Wellbeing, Emotional health, Relationships and Readiness for Learning) is a multi-disciplinary team working in partnership with schools and other services in Enfield.

They support the improved inclusion of primary school children who are experiencing social, emotional and mental health (SEMH) difficulties. They also help Enfield schools to achieve a zero permanent exclusion goal for primary pupils.

The team bring trauma-informed perspectives to understanding children’s challenging behaviour and their troubled life experiences. Their intervention work supports the application of practices in ways that benefit the whole school community.

The team aims to improve school staff understanding of a child’s behaviour and enable them to help calm the child’s feelings of stress, regulate their emotions, and over time develop greater self-management skills.

This is an innovative team who offer bespoke responses to the individual pupils’ needs in a school context. The diverse skills of the team means they can offer:

  • bespoke training and COSIE training (Creating Optimally Safer and Inclusive Environments) to enhance professional and personal development and wellbeing
  • consultative and strategic input to develop SEMH sensitive practices in school with some members participating as ETIPS (Enfield Trauma informed Practice in Schools) champions
  • specialist support for parents and families alongside school-based interventions. IAPT qualified trainers offer support through the Incredible Years (IY) parenting programme for 5 to 11 year olds.
  • modelling supportive approaches to promote pupils’ positive social, emotional and mental health development such as whole class circle time, lego-skills time, bespoke small group programmes, individual intervention work, psychotherapeutic and creative-arts based therapeutic interventions

For more information or to get the SWERRL request for involvement form, Enfield primary schools can contact the SWERRL team by emailing Office.BSS@enfield.gov.uk or by calling 020 3855 5879. The form must have a parents’ signature and their support.

Secondary Behaviour Support Service

The Secondary Behaviour Support Service (SBSS) works in partnership with secondary schools in Enfield to prevent permanent exclusions, by supporting learners through an Outreach and Alternative Provision Service.

Outreach Service

The Outreach Service consists of four learning mentors who work closely with children and young people, through a period of one-to-one mentoring and group interventions.

The Outreach Service also offers additional mentoring support to students who have been placed on managed moves. The service aims to support the transition to their new school and increase the chances of the managed move being successful.

Alternative Provision Service

The Alternative Provision Service offers advice and support to find alternative provision for students who are at serious risk of permanent exclusion, those who have already been permanently excluded, and students who are without a school place. This service works closely with Enfield secondary schools, the Pupil Referral Unit and the School Admissions Service.

The Alternative Provision Service consists of two learning mentors. These mentors work closely with schools and provide one-to-one mentoring to students.

Enfield Educational Psychology Service is the main provider of psychological services to Enfield schools and early years settings. They have direct links to services in education, health and social care which promotes a coordinated approach.

What is an Educational Psychologist?

An Educational Psychologist (EP) is a trained applied psychologist who has a psychology degree and a post graduate professional training in Educational Psychology at Masters or Doctorate level. They use their knowledge of psychology to promote the educational achievement and improve the life chances of children and young people.

EPs work at different levels to help make a difference. This includes applying psychology with:

  • system leaders at a national, regional or local level, supporting policy and strategic developments. This can involve undertaking action research.
  • whole school or educational settings to support implementation of organisational approaches and developments, e.g. whole school approach to wellbeing, training staff on approaches for autism, training teaching assistants on programmes to support emotional wellbeing (ELSA) etc. 
  • groups of parents or carers on a common areas to provide help, e.g. provide workshops or intervention programmes on topics such as autism or children’s emotional development.
  • groups of children and young people on common areas to provide help, e.g. provide workshops or intervention programmes on managing their worries or anxiety, preparing for exams or supporting siblings of autistic children.
  • individual children and young people and their families when there are concerns about learning, development, emotional wellbeing or behaviour. They work with the other professionals working with the child or young person and the child’s educational setting (i.e. preschool, nursery, mainstream schools, college or specialist provision). EPs help to identify children/young people's strengths, wishes and aspirations as well as their needs. This information is used to make sense of what is going on and find ways to help the child or young person. 

When do they become involved with an individual child or young person?

Children, young people and their families are eligible for support from an Enfield Educational Psychologist when any one of the following apply:

  • the EPS receives a formal request for a pre-school child living in Enfield from a professional, for example an early years setting
  • the child or young person goes to an Enfield School that has purchased our Educational Psychology Service
  • the SEN service has asked for information and advice from the Educational Psychology Service as part of an Educational Health and Care Needs Assessment or to support the Education Health and Care Plan of a child or young person
  • the child or young person has been referred to another team which has asked for support from an Educational Psychologist, for example HEART

An Educational Psychologist will always obtain consent from the parent or carer and from the young person if over the age of 16.

Educational settings can usually meet the needs of most children or young people, but if parents or carers are concerned about their child’s learning, wellbeing or mental health, they usually speak to the setting first. Educational settings are there to listen to the concerns of parents and carers and may set up a ‘Learning Support Plan’ or an ‘Individual Education Plan’ together with you. The plan will include areas to improve on, possible outcomes and support that will help in school and at home. You will meet with the school to review the plan and progress your child is making. During this process, the school or educational setting may want to involve the Educational Psychologist for further thinking and support. Schools purchase this service and prioritise in line with the needs of children in their school.

Enfield EPS also has a telephone support line for any parent or carer of a child living in Enfield or attending a school in Enfield. This is a confidential space for parents and carers to talk through any concerns they have about their child’s wellbeing, learning or behaviour. Signposting information is also provided.

What do they do?

Regarding work relating to individual children or young people, EPs work with the adults who know the child or young person well to understand their strengths and areas of need. They can also carry out psychological work with the child or young person. By working together, the EP will help plan the next steps to support a child’s emotional wellbeing and learning.

How do they do it?

EPs can carry out a range of work, including:

  • Consultation and advice to schools and settings
  • Individual psychological assessments with children/young people
  • Working with other agencies
  • Interventions including therapeutic support
  • Delivering professional learning for education staff
  • Providing parent or carer support

How will I be involved?

An EP will always gain written consent from parents or carers and from young people over the age of 16 years before becoming involved.

EPs are committed to involving parents & carers and children & young people in all decision making. EPs work collaboratively as it is recognised that parents & carers and education staff know the child/young person best.

A written summary/report is provided when any direct work is carried out by the EP. If EPs are joining a school review meeting, the school will usually provide the written record or the updated Individual Education Plan or Learning Support Plan.

How can I contact the EP Service?

Telephone: 020 8379 2000

Email: EPS@enfield.gov.uk

Finding out more about Enfield EPS:

Visit: Enfield Schools Traded Services Hub

Follow the EPS on Twitter: @ENFIELDEPS

The Enfield Advisory Service for Autism (EASA) supports autistic children and young people aged 0 to 25. They work with educational settings and parents to increase understanding of autism, and develop services and support.

For more information, see worries about your child's health and development.

Visual impairment support

Children and young people with visual impairment can be supported to attend school and college. Support can include:

  • changes to the lighting
  • adaptions to the environment (for example, yellow tape to mark hazards like steps or changes in levels)
  • special equipment (for example, talking keyboards or big keys keyboards)
  • specialist software packages

Children and young people with a visual impairment who attend an Enfield school, and those with an EHCP who attend a school outside the borough, are supported by the visual impairment outreach service provided by Joseph Clarke Educational Service (PDF).

Organisations who support visual impairment

You can find more advice and support about visual impairment from the organisations below:

Hearing impairment support

Sensory Support Service

Children and young people with a hearing impairment in Enfield are supported through the Sensory Support Service (PDF).

The Sensory Support Service gives information and advice for managing a child’s education and all aspects of their hearing impairment. This could include language and communication, listening equipment and social and emotional wellbeing.

They work closely with babies, children, young people, families, carers, staff in educational settings, and key professionals in the NHS and social care. Support ranges from occasional to weekly visits throughout the year, depending on the person’s needs.

The team can also visit pre-school children and their families or carers at home, their local children's centre or another place of their choice.

Sensory Support Service and SENCo

All primary, special and secondary schools in Enfield have an allocated advisory teacher who will meet regularly with the special educational needs coordinator (SENCo). Parents can access support by contacting the service or asking the SENCo in their child's setting to contact them.

Level of support

The service uses the National Sensory Impairment Partnership (NatSIP) framework to decide on the initial amount of support that each family will get. The level of support is reviewed and adjusted regularly, with input from the advisory teacher, families, carers and other professionals.

For more information, email sensorysupport@haringey.gov.uk or call 020 8489 8338.

Organisations who support hearing impairment

You can find more advice and support about hearing impairment from the organisations below:

British Sign Language

Some specialist schools also provide training for parents in British Sign Language at no cost.

Tell us what you think about our Local Offer