Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Standing for election

How do I stand for election as a councillor?

To become a councillor, you will have to stand as a candidate at the local elections. Although most candidates are affiliated to political parties, not all are. You can stand as an independent candidate if you wish to.


To qualify as a candidate for elections to a local authority, a person must be at least 18 years old on the day of nomination and must be either:

  • a British citizen
  • a citizen of the Republic of Ireland
  • a qualifying Commonwealth citizen, or
  • a citizen of another Member State of the European Union

A prospective candidate must also meet one of four qualifications:

  • be a registered elector for the local authority area, or
  • for the whole of the previous twelve months have lived in that area; or
  • for the whole of the previous twelve months have occupied, as owner or tenant, any land or premises in that area; or
  • for that twelve months have had their principal or only place of work in that area


There are a range of disqualifications which can prevent a person from standing as candidate at a local election. Further details of such disqualifications are shown on the nomination forms.


Any person wishing to stand as a candidate will need to complete the following paperwork:

  • a nomination paper, countersigned by ten registered electors for the ward in which you are standing for election
  • a consent to nomination, confirming that you are willing to stand for election and witnessed by one other person
  • an appointment of election agent, unless you are taking this role on yourself

If you are a candidate for a registered political party you will also need to submit:

  • a certificate of authorisation from the political party
  • a request to use the party emblem on the ballot paper

If you wish to receive a set of nomination papers, email elections@enfield.gov.uk.

Standing as a candidate at UK Parliamentary and London elections

Eligibility for candidature for these elections varies, although the general criteria are that the candidate must:

  • be 18 years of age or over on the day they submit their nomination paper;
  • not be disqualified for any reason from standing;
  • for UK Parliamentary elections, be a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen;
  • for London (Mayor and Assembly) elections, be a British, Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizen; and
  • for London elections, have some connection to the area

In addition, for these types of election, candidates must submit a deposit, which ranges from £500 to £10,000 depending on the election type. The deposit will only be returned if the candidate polls a specified percentage of votes, 2.5% or 5% depending on the election type.

Who deals with the candidate nominations?

Enfield's Returning Officer deals with nominations for:

  • Parliamentary elections for the Edmonton, Enfield North and Enfield Southgate parliamentary constituencies
  • Elections to the London Borough of Enfield - there are 13 three-councillor wards and 12 two-councillor wards across the 25 electoral wards of the borough
  • Elections of the London Assembly Member for the Enfield and Haringey constituency of the Greater London Assembly

Nominations for the Mayor of London and for the London-wide Assembly Members are administered by the Greater London Returning Officer at City Hall, The Queen's Walk, London, SE1 2AA.