Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram


We maintain, prune, pollard and remove trees on council-owned land, pavements, roads and other public areas. We have a highways annual plan (PDF) and council housing annual plan (PDF)to prune and pollard trees, which you can check to find planned tree works in your area. Notices are put up on trees to notify the public of maintenance works, especially where there may be parking issues.

For more information, refer to our tree strategy (PDF) and tree strategy action plan (PDF).

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant, you are responsible for maintaining the trees in your front and back gardens as part of your tenancy agreement (PDF).

Private tenants

If there is a problem with a tree in your garden you will need to contact your landlord to report it.

Private land

Trees on private land are the responsibility of the landowner. We can ask landowners to take action if their tree(s) obstructs the obstructs the Public Highway or is dangerous.

Private road or alleyway

We do not maintain trees on private land. If you are not sure who owns the land you can contact the Land Registry who can assist in identifying the land owners.

GOV.UK Land Registry

Disputes with neighbours

If you are concerned that a tree in your neighbour's garden is dangerous, you should speak to your neighbour. They can employ the services of a private tree specialist, who can inspect and advise.

You are legally entitled to cut back to your boundary any growth from the tree, as long as these works have no negative effects on the tree. You are required to dispose of any cuttings at your own cost, if the tree owner does not wish for them to be returned.

During a routine tree survey of Chase Green Gardens, Enfield EN2, we identified concerns about a large mature Copper Beech tree that needed further investigation.

The tree is situated within a high usage and therefore high risk area. Due to the tree's significance, we commissioned an investigation to check the condition and structural stability of the tree.


You can report an emergency tree problem by calling 020 8379 1000 and we will work with a contractor to respond quickly. A tree problem is an emergency if the tree:

  • has fallen or is in danger of falling
  • has large broken branches
  • appears to be dead and is dangerous
  • has been hit by a vehicle and damaged
  • has been cut down by residents

We will investigate from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Outside of opening hours our contractors will endeavour to attend an emergency call request within one hour and make the site safe.

Reports via our website are processed during office hours only, and in the order they are received. If you think the problem is urgent, call us on 020 8379 1000 to report this instead.


For tree problems that are not an emergency, you should report the problem online. Examples of non-emergency situations are:

  • overgrown trees in a public areas
  • trees lifting the pavement
  • request for more trees in the road
  • tree problems on council housing land, but not in your garden
  • a tree in an allotment requires attention

Leaves on ground

Although we are sympathetic, this is a seasonal issue which we do not control.

Obstructing light

When the annual checks are carried out, consideration will be given to obstruction of light to your property and where necessary works will be programmed.

Damage to property

If you think a council-owned tree close to your property is causing damage to your building, you should seek guidance from your building or household insurer.

If you think it is causing damage to any of your property other than your building, such as a boundary fence or wall, email us. You will need to provide evidence to show that the damage was caused by the tree.

If your property has been damaged by pruning work, email info@gristwoodandtoms.co.uk.

We attempt to replace every tree that has been lost in line with our tree strategy, this is subject to available funding at that time.

We will not plant a tree:

  • directly at the side of a corner property and light levels from adjacent high rise building should be considered
  • where it restricts the accessible width of a walkway to less than 1m
  • that obstructs street furniture
  • within 1.5m of a dropped kerb
  • within 6m of a street lamp
  • in an area that would obstruct the use of disabled parking bays, including wheelchairs or lifting ramps


All newly planted trees receive a three-year aftercare programme to improve their survival rate. Any tree that dies is replaced within this three-year period.

For information on how you can help newly planted trees, view our watering young trees leaflet (PDF).

A tree in Enfield is only scheduled for removal if it:

  • has died
  • is dying or in decline and presents a danger to people or property
  • has become unmanageable
  • has outgrown its location and can no longer be managed with pruning methods
  • has reached the end of its useful life within the street scene
  • causes a financial liability that cannot be rectified by pruning
  • causes a conflict with legislation
  • means doing so will have an environmental benefit
  • is causing disease or a pest problem that cannot be controlled if the tree remains

Stumps will be kept at 1m height for safety reasons until a contractor can remove it. New trees will be replanted where possible.

Tree removal requests

There is a £355 non-refundable application fee and you will be expected to cover the costs for the removal and the replacement of the tree. The application process can take up to two months. If approved, it can take six to eight weeks for the tree to be fully removed.

If you wish to proceed with a tree removal request, email treegroupmailbox@enfield.gov.uk.

Tree decay reports