Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram


Your lease is a legal document that sets out the relationship between us and you. Your lease tells you:

  • how long the lease agreement lasts
  • what we are responsible for
  • what you are responsible for
  • how we work out charges for common repairs and services
  • the amount of ground rent you need to pay

You must also comply with the tenant’s covenants with landlord and other tenants for the management of your block and estate.

Our responsibilities are set out in the lease and are governed by law. We are responsible for:

  • giving you an estimate of your service charges before the start of each financial year
  • notifying you of your actual service charges after the end of each financial year
  • consulting you on major work and services, before inviting estimates from contractors and awarding contracts
  • informing you of any rechargeable costs we have incurred, within 18 months of incurring them
  • repairing and maintaining the structure and exterior of your block, including external windows
  • providing repairs and services to common areas
  • repairing and maintaining any communal equipment in your property, for example heating appliances, waste disposal units and door entry systems.
  • requiring other leaseholders to agree to similar terms to those in your lease.

You can find information about a number of leaseholder issues including service charges and independent advice on GOV.UK.

We are responsible for buildings insurance which covers the structure and common parts of the block, but not the contents of your home. The premium is included in your service charge and the amount depends on the number of bedrooms you have. We advise leaseholders to take out separate contents insurance. See information on our home contents insurance scheme.

How to claim

If you want to make a claim on your building insurance, you need to complete the claim form (PDF), and send it with two estimates for repair and photographs of the damage by email to tpasolutions@questgates.co.uk or by post to:

QuestGates Limited
Benchmark House
Folds Point
Folds Road

They will then contact you by phone or email to progress the claim.

If the matter is urgent, you should contact them directly on 01204 860 427, as they may need to arrange immediate response.

Claims must be notified within 28 days of the event in the case of damage caused by riot, civil commotion, strikes, labour disturbances or malicious persons, or as soon as reasonably possible in the case of any other claim.

You will need to quote the main policy number when making a claim: 2020CP000111.

Your insurance documents

Types of damage covered

The policy insures the building against:

  • fire, smoke, lightning, explosion or earthquake
  • storm or floods
  • escape of water
  • theft of fixtures and fittings and malicious damage
  • impact
  • riot, civil commotion, strike, labour or political disturbance
  • subsidence, heave or landslip of the site on which your buildings stand
  • damage caused by falling aerials or satellite receiving equipment
  • falling trees or branches

You are expected to take reasonable steps to safeguard your home, especially when it is unoccupied. These should include securing doors and windows, and reducing the risk of pipework freezing by either turning off the water system and draining it down, or maintaining low level heating, particularly overnight. If your property is left unoccupied, our buildings policy may not cover any damage.

If you want to rent your property to a tenant, you need to let us know first. If you don't, this may invalidate your buildings insurance and any claim you make may be refused.

Our communal services team provide caretaking services for our housing estates.

There are two levels of caretaking service:

Our caretaking services do not include:

  • window cleaning
  • rubbish collection
  • grounds maintenance (soft verges, hedges, shrubs and weeds)
  • high-rise bulky rubbish collection (caretakers will move bulky items to designated collection points)

View our Estate Services Caretaking and Cleaning Standards (PDF)

If you have a compliment, comment or complaint, email areacaretakermanagers@enfield.gov.uk.

You can also contact:

You must tell us if you have changed any of your contact details, including your telephone number, email or home address.

It is important the information we hold about you is up-to-date so we can continue to write to you.

To update your contact details, you need to complete the online form below.

You can also download the contact details form (PDF), which must be signed by all leaseholders associated with the property, and email it to leaseholder@enfield.gov.uk or post to:

Homeownership Services
The Edmonton Centre
36-44 South Mall
N9 0TN

Failure to do so could affect the status of your buildings insurance.

Moving abroad

If you're moving abroad, you must provide a contact address and details of a person or agent who can act on your behalf in England or Wales.

Subletting your property

You must let us know if you rent out your property and provide contact details for you and your tenants as well as any managing agent in case we need to inspect the property or carry out repairs. You will need to provide us with a contact address in England or Wales to send documents to. We may also consider renting your property from you.

If you rent your property you will be responsible for your tenant's behaviour and ensuring they comply with the terms of your lease.

From 1 April 2019, all Enfield Council leaseholders who sublet their property must register each sublet with the Home Ownership Services Team. As the freeholder, it is important we have details of any subtenants residing in our blocks.

You will need to complete the sublet registration form (PDF) for each tenancy agreement and pay a one-off £35 fee. This must be signed by all leaseholders associated with the property and emailed to leaseholder@enfield.gov.uk or sent to:

Homeownership Services
The Edmonton Centre
36-44 South Mall
N9 0TN

When we receive your registration form, we will send you the payment options and your unique subletting reference number (payment must not be made into your service charge account). Once the payment is received the sublet will be registered.

The subletting register has been added to your lease, to ensure we are accountable for all residents within our leasehold properties. The fee is to cover the admin and maintenance cost of the register and applies to leaseholders subletting privately, through a managing agent or housing association.

Failure to register could affect the status of your building’s insurance. We will also take the case to the Tribunal which could result in forfeiture of your lease.

The £35 charge does not apply to those subletting to Enfield Council. However, you’re still required to complete the registration form. For more information, view the new leaseholder flyer (PDF).

The Lease regulations observance clause includes information about conduct and behaviour, use of premises, health and safety, pets and animals, and repairs and alteration to your property.

View Lease regulations observance clause.

Selling your property

If you’re a leaseholder and selling your home, your solicitor will need to get a Management Information Pack from us. This is a standard pack of details about your property, including any planned major works.

We charge a standard fee of £180 (inclusive of VAT) for one leasehold Management Information Pack. We aim to reply in ten working days from receipt of payment for initial enquiries and for any following enquiries we receive.

To request a pack, email leaseholder@enfield.gov.uk or phone 020 8375 8003.

The Management Information Pack for leasehold properties includes:

  • service charge history of the last three years
  • current service charge account balance and statement (including ground rent)
  • building insurance schedule and policy booklet
  • a list of section 20 notices served on the address and planned major works for the block and/or estate
  • fire risk assessment for the building (communal parts only)
  • asbestos report for the building (communal parts only)

If you’re a solicitor and your client is buying, you should ask the seller’s solicitors to request the pre-assignment pack, as some information is covered under data protection.

Remortgaging your property

If you’ve applied for a new mortgage or to borrow more money, or if you're a lender or solicitor and your client is remortgaging, then the mortgage provider may need a Remortgage Pack from us.

We charge a standard fee of £90 (inclusive of VAT) for one Remortgage Pack. We aim to reply in ten working days from receipt of payment for initial enquiries and for any following enquiries we receive.

As your lease term gets shorter, it’s important that you extend your lease to protect the value of your property.

Once you have been the leaseholder for two years, you have the legal right to extend your current lease with the council.

To do this, there are two options available to you:

Option 1 - formal route

As the leaseholder, one option is to go down the formal route. This is where you would serve a Section 41 Information Notice (discretionary), followed by a Section 42 notice under the Leasehold Reform Housing and Urban Development Act 1993.

If you want to use the statutory process, we suggest that you involve a solicitor. They will be able to make sure the notices are drafted correctly, and that all legal documentation is provided.

Option 2 - informal route

As a second option, the council has an informal scheme which you can use. This process is simpler, and you don’t need to use a solicitor in order to apply, and provide basic information required. The price for the lease extension is the same, however you choose to apply.

You should note that you will need to use a solicitor to complete the transaction and register the lease extension with the Land Registry.


If choosing the informal route, here is a summary of the application process:

  • Step 1: Application received by the council’s Property Service Department.
  • Step 2: Valuation of lease extension completed to establish the premium (price) payable. The council’s valuation is done according to the same legal requirements as a formal application. The valuation is calculated as a fair straight price to be paid, and not as a starting point for negotiations. The cost of the valuation will depend on whether an inspection is necessary or whether a valuation can be calculated with reference to market information.
  • Step 3: Once the premium has been agreed, instructions are sent to Legal Services who will then contact your solicitor to agree the necessary documents.
  • Step 4: Lease extension is signed and registered with the Land Registry.


Both formal and informal routes require you to pay application costs, as well as any outstanding ground rent or service / major works charges on legal completion of the extension. A breakdown of the costs can be seen below.

Formal route costs

As part of the formal route, the council’s administration, legal, and valuation costs must, by law, be paid on completion or withdrawal of your application:

  • Administration cost of £100
  • Valuation cost of between £380 and £475
  • Legal costs of £1000

Informal route costs

As part of the informal route, the administration and valuation costs are payable at the start of the application process:

  • Administrative cost of £190
  • Valuation cost of between £380 and £475
  • Legal costs of £800

How the lease is extended

Leases are extended for 90 years in addition to the length of your current lease. The requirement to pay £10 a year ground rent is removed. All other terms of the lease remain the same.


The price for extending your lease depends on the value of the property and the number of years remaining on your lease. The value of your property is not usually affected until there is less than approximately 95 years left. The effect is small but the cost increases as term of the lease gets shorter.

The value of your property goes down significantly if the lease has less than 80 years left. This is because the price to extend your lease goes up significantly, as the law allows the council to share equally with the leaseholder in the increase in property value on the existing lease, compared to the value on the extended lease.

To read more about this and other leasehold information, as well as use an approximate price calculator, visit the independent government advice website, LEASE.

If you want to find out more about the council’s informal scheme, contact the Property Services Department by emailing propertymatters@enfield.gov.uk.

You should note that this is general guidance only, and there may be specific exceptions and circumstances that are not covered here.