Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram


The repair responsibilities table (PDF) has a checklist of who is responsible for which repairs. Under certain circumstances, we may do repairs for free with our special repairs for vulnerable tenants. We will not be responsible for repairs where damage is caused by negligence.

If a fault is caused by you, your family or friends, you must pay for repairs. If you have problems with your water or a leak, contact your supplier. If the damage is caused by vandalism, report the incident to the police and get a crime reference number before reporting the repair to us.

When requesting a repair, you should tell us:

  • your name, address and daytime phone number
  • what needs repairing
  • whether you are hard of hearing or have difficulty getting to the door

You will be offered an appointment for a surveyor to make an inspection, or for a contractor to do the repair. You must allow our staff or contractors into your home at any reasonable time to do repairs, inspections or improvement work.

We will give you at least 24 hours’ notice, except in an emergency. If it is an emergency and you do not let us in, we may force entry.

Request a repair

Gas appliances

We service all gas appliances supplied by us every year and will leave a certificate confirming that they are safe and in good working order. If this has not been done, you should email chcompliance@enfield.gov.uk. As per your tenancy agreement, you must allow us into the property to service appliances. This applies to all properties where gas can be used.

Even if no appliances are connected or the only appliances belong to you, we need to check the pipework. We will take firm action against anyone who does not allow access for this. For more information, contact the HSE Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300363.


Our environmental services asbestos team survey homes we manage to identify materials containing asbestos and assess its condition. If necessary, they will arrange to remove or seal it (through our repairs team). If you have asbestos in your home, leave it alone, as it is safe if it is undamaged. If you suspect there is damaged asbestos in your home, you should email repairs.council.housing@enfield.gov.uk.

Letting standard

Our letting standard sets out the standard of repair and appearance you can expect when you move in. This means that your home will be clean and in a state of good repair. If you think your new home doesn't meet the letting standard, email repairs.council.housing@enfield.gov.uk.

The repairs below, which are usually a tenant’s responsibility, will be carried out by us if we are sure that the repair or renewal is reasonably required, and one of the following apply:

  • the tenant is above the age of 65 and no person below the age of 65 lives in the property
  • the tenant has a mobility difficulty or serious visual impairment and there is no able-bodied adult living in the property
  • the tenant has a learning difficulty which substantially restricts their ability to arrange the repairs
  • the tenant has a history of mental illness which substantially restricts their ability to arrange the repairs

Examples of repairs included:

  • minor plastering work (excluding hairline cracks)
  • replacement of wall tiles (splashbacks only)
  • draught proofing
  • blocked sinks, baths and wash basins
  • repairs to fences and gates
  • replacement of cylinder jackets
  • replacement of tap washers
  • skirting boards
  • internal doors
  • cleaning and drying out after floods

The above repairs will not be carried out if the defect is due to the tenant’s neglect or negligence.