Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Information for tenants

Tenants in the private rented sector have certain rights and responsibilities. It’s important you’re aware of these before signing a tenancy agreement.

You are entitled to:

  • have a written agreement if you have a fixed-term tenancy of more than three years
  • know who your landlord is
  • challenge unreasonably high charges including unfair rent
  • details of the rent deposit scheme your landlord has used
  • see an Energy Performance Certificate for the property as part of your tenancy agreement
  • have your deposit returned when your tenancy ends
  • be protected from unfair eviction
  • live in property that is safe, in a good state of repair and fit for human habitation
  • live in the property without disturbances

For more information on what you can expect as a tenant and from your landlord, visit GOV.UK.

Private rented property licensing provides clear guidance for landlords on property and management standards and allows us to tackle poor housing conditions and antisocial behaviour that is sometimes associated with private renting.

If you’re concerned about the condition of the property you live in or want to report an issue with a neighbouring private rented property, you can report this confidentially to us. This will help us improve the borough for everyone and hold landlords to account. We will only contact you if you provide your contact details and confirm that you’re happy for us to do so.

If you think a private rented property doesn’t have a licence, you should check the online register before reporting.

For more information on renting privately in Enfield, see how to find a property to rent.

If you're threatened with homelessness, see what to do if your landlord asks you to leave.