Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Temporary accommodation

Temporary accommodation is not a permanent home and we will not find you a permanent home if you were accepted into our housing system after November 2012. You will be expected to find your own permanent home. These are the current temporary accommodation rents for Enfield:

Rent payable for temporary accommodation in Enfield
Number of bedrooms Weekly amount
1 bedroom
2  bedrooms
3 bedrooms
4+ bedrooms

Temporary accommodation is only suitable for households in extreme crisis and is not a path to social rented housing. We don't have enough properties for everyone needing accommodation, and we will only accept a housing duty to priority cases.

Temporary accommodation properties are leased from private landlords for two or three years. Where we accept a full housing duty towards a household that meets the criteria under homelessness law, this duty is met by helping the household to secure a home in the private sector via the Homefinder Scheme. This offers greater flexibility in terms of area choices than temporary accommodation

You will not have a choice of where you live if you are placed into temporary accommodation. In most cases households will remain in temporary accommodation until they find their own accommodation. Only households awarded a full homelessness duty before November 2012 may be offered a council or housing association tenancy.

We will only make one offer for temporary accommodation and if you don’t accept this, then it’s likely you will need to find your own accommodation. Council and housing association properties are allocated through our Housing Allocation Scheme.

Temporary nightly paid accommodation is emergency accommodation. This type of housing is:

  • very expensive
  • offers no choice in where to live
  • may require you to move several times because of the emergency and short term nature of this type of accommodation

If you have a problem with your emergency accommodation, you should contact Accommodation Services on 020 8379 1000.

You cannot be transferred to a more affordable council property from nightly paid emergency accommodation if you can’t afford to pay the rent. A number of drawbacks of this type of accommodation include the fact that it is very expensive partly because it’s in short supply.

You will be offered accommodation that is available on the day. If you have a child and they are at a key stage in their education, finding a property close to their school will be taken into consideration.

You will be accommodated until enquiries have been concluded and a decision has been reached on your case. If your case is accepted, you will be accommodated until you find suitable private rented accommodation or you are assisted through the Homefinder Scheme.

All keys for emergency accommodation should be handed back to the Managing Agents of the property. For information about removals and storage, visit our furniture storage page.

If you’re given a negative decision, accommodation will only be available for a maximum of 28 days. You will need to make your own arrangement to find alternative accommodation of your own.

Reporting repairs 

To report your repairs to the accommodation services, contact us on 020 8379 1000. You will need to give your name, address and telephone number so we can contact you about the repair.

To report your repairs to a managing agent, you will find their details in the tenancy information pack you were given.

To report your repairs to a Housing Association Officer, you will find their details in the tenancy information pack you were given. If the housing association fails to respond or complete a repair, you should contact us on 020 8379 1000. In some cases you may be asked to pay for the repair if you, a member of your household, or a visitor have caused the problem. This could include blocked sinks, broken windows or lost keys.

Paying the rent for your temporary accommodation

Your tenancy agreement or sub-licence agreement will tell you how much your weekly rent or occupation charge is. It is your responsibility to pay your rent on time and failure to do so could lead to eviction, and we will no longer have any housing duty towards you. You may get Housing Benefit which helps pay all or part of your rent.

Your rent is due every week. If you find it easier to pay fortnightly or monthly because your wages are paid this way, you need to tell your Income Officer. The rent should be paid in advance to stop you falling into arrears. Being in rent arrears may stop you from being able to bid for a council or housing association home. Rent is a priority debt and failure to pay may also affect your ability to secure a loan, credit or find another place to live.

We have a number of different payment methods available for you to pay your rent for temporary accommodation:

  • You can use the website to make rent payments by debit or credit card

Make a rent payment

  • By Standing Order through your bank or building society account:
    Payee: London Borough of Enfield
    Sort Code: 09-07-20
    Account number: 05150817
    Reference: Use your rent account number which is shown on your rent payment card
  • By Direct Debit by completing this form (PDF) and returning it to us. You can also email incomerecoveryteam@enfield.gov.uk to ask for a paper copy.
  • In person at any PayPoint, Payzone outlet or Post Office using the barcode on your letter or rent card

If you are paying at a PayPoint, many retailers will accept cash or card, and you will be given a receipt. There is no charge to use this service.

When using PayPoint, remember that:

  • not all PayPoints will accept card payments, but they will all accept cash
  • the maximum you can pay in one transaction at PayPoint is £300
  • for any transactions over £300, it is advisable to pay using another method shown on your bill

Difficulty paying rent

If you don't already get help with your rent through Housing Benefit, you can find out if you’re entitled by claiming online

Housing Benefit often doesn’t cover the full amount of your rent. If you're having difficulty paying your rent shortfall you may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment to help you. This payment will not cover any service charges you have to pay.  

If you are struggling to pay your rent, your Income Officer will be able to offer help and advice by calling 020 8379 1000 (option 4) or by emailing incomerecoveryteam@enfield.gov.uk.

If you need help with managing your money you can get support and advice from a range of organisations, including:

Rent arrears are when you are behind in paying your rent. If you fall behind with your rent, we will send you a letter telling you how much you owe. If you do not pay your rent or your arrears, we may take legal action. Legal action may lead to your losing your temporary accommodation. If you are evicted due to rent arrears, we will not rehouse you.

Lost or stolen rent payment card

If your rent payment card is lost or stolen, you can ask for a new one on 020 8379 1000 (option 4). You will need to tell us your address and rent account number, which can be found on letters about your rent.

Rent statement

You can ask for your rent statement to be sent to you by post by calling 020 8379 1000 (option 4). Have your rent payment card ready as you will need to tell us your rent account number.

TA Housing News December 2020 edition cover

To keep up to date with the latest housing news for residents in temporary accommodation, read our newsletter.

View the latest and past editions: