Facebook Campaign enables us to measure response and retarget from campaigns we run on Facebook and Instagram

Drainage problems and filthy properties

Drainage problems

You can report a drainage problem and we can require the property owner to take action.

Common problems are:

  • blocked, damaged or leaking drains and gullies
  • cross connections (waste water draining into clean water potentially polluting rivers and lakes). We work in partnership with Thames Water and the Environment Agency
  • leaks into another property
  • leaking gutters, downpipes and rainwater systems
  • leaking or inadequate soil pipes

In the first instance, we recommend that you speak informally with the person responsible. If the problem continues, we can serve a notice to the property owner to fix the drainage problem.

Reports via our website are processed during office hours only, and in the order they are received. If you think the problem is urgent, call us on 020 8379 1000 to report this instead.

Thames Water are responsible for blocked sewers that are used by more than one property. They also fix mains pipes on public roads. However, it is the responsibility of the owner to fix any leaking pipes on or inside a property.

You can report a blocked sewer or leaking mains supply to Thames Water on 0800 009 3964.

Report a blocked drain, sewer or gutter

Filthy properties

You can report a filthy property that is a health and safety hazard, and thereby a statutory nuisance.

Rubbish, such as soft furniture, tends to attract vermin or pests. We can also take action if an untidy house or garden affects the neighbourhood.

We are unable to deal with gardens that are neglected or has rubbish, such as bricks and rubble, that does not attract pests.

We will try to resolve the complaint informally with the property owner. If that fails, we can serve a notice only if it becomes a statutory nuisance. If the issue is still not resolved, the person responsible can be fined up to £5,000 or go to prison. We will also fix the problem at the property owner's cost.