Settlement checking service

We work in partnership with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to offer a checking service for applications for settlement in the UK through form SET (M). We also offer a nationality checking service.

The service is useful because it helps you get your application correct first time. People using the service usually complete their application more quickly than people using the normal postal application process. This is because fewer applications are rejected because of mistakes, incompleteness or missing documents.

The SET (M) form is for people whose partner or spouse is a British citizen or someone who is settled here.

You cannot use the SET (M) form or the settlement checking service if you are a European Economic Area (EEA) National.

Booking your appointment

You need to book an appointment to use the service. It's really important you do this before your current leave expires. The appointment itself must happen within 28 days of the end of your 'two-year probationary period'.

To book an appointment, call 020 8379 1000. We will take payment by debit or credit card when you book your appointment. You can view our fees here.

Appointments take place at the Enfield Register Office. You need to arrive ten minutes before your appointment.

You must bring the following to your appointment:

You need to supply payment details on the form or bring a cheque or postal order to your appointment.

At your appointment, we will:

  • make sure your application form is complete
  • check you have paid the correct application fee
  • ensure you have all the supporting documents you need
  • tell you if any of your documents are un acceptable or are not required by UKVI
  • make certified copies of your documents
  • return your spouse or partner's passport or travel documents
  • send your application and supporting documents to UKVI via secure mail

We will return your documents to you but keep your Biometric Residence Permit, as this must be included with your SET (M) form. If there are dependants included in your application, we will also send their Biometric Residence Permits with your application.

The service works slightly differently for people who choose to apply for settlement in person at a Public Enquiry Office (PEO). These people would pay for a premium service that includes the settlement checking service.

If you are taking this option, you book your settlement checking appointment in the usual way. However, you should do this after you book your appointment at the PEO so that you can choose a time that's not long before your PEO appointment.

At your settlement checking appointment, we will do everything listed in the normal service except keep your biometric residence permit and send your application by secure mail. Instead, you will take your checked application and supporting documents to your appointment at the PEO.

Quality of service

The officers providing this service have been fully trained by UKVI and are registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). This is a UK Government body that regulates organisations offering services relating to immigration.

They are not able to offer advice on settlement matters. If you need advice you can contact UKVI or visit their website.

If you wish to make a complaint, you can contact us or complain directly to the OISC.

If you have any questions about the service, use our enquiry form or contact us on 020 8379 1000.

Probationary period

If you have an 'entry clearance visa' that was issued abroad, your two-year probationary period started when you entered the UK. Your visa will have been stamped with this date by an immigration officer.

If you have a residence permit or biometric residence permit, your two-year probationary period started when you were granted two years' leave as a spouse or partner. It does not affect the probationary period if you previously had leave in another category, for example as a student.